Re: Is this legal - linux without the sources ?

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:29:54 -0200, Shadow wrote:

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:47:51 +0000, Michael John Ruff
<mr002i1702@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Shadow wrote:
I recently bought a Philco notebook, which came with a linux
system (debian-based, it uses both debian and ubuntu repositories).
The first time I used synaptic, it crashed various times, with a load
of messages about library dependencies.
I tried to find the source code, but was told by the Philco
people that their linux was proprietary, so no access to drivers or
source code.
I tried installing ubuntu on the notebook, but the modem is
not recognized. And Philco says it will only give me technical help if
I re-install the Fenix system (which comes with the notebook on an
encrypted DVD). Also I must not install any new software, as it could
cause conflicts, not covered by the warranty. I must maintain the
original software installed. (apparently security updates are out of
the question, as there are scores of dependencies unresolved -
synaptic seems to download from various versions of ubuntu/debian)
I though buying a linux notebook would open my horizons to
lots of nice software. I think I've been done .....
[]'s

A friend of mine just put windows XP on his, but that is NOT
what I bought the notebook for.

http://www.sistemafenix.com.br
http://www.philco.com.br/Notebooks.aspx?cn=146&p=287
Hello

Yes it is legal as it is proptirtary.
Whatever happened to open source ? I though the source code
had to be available. In this particular case it looks like Philco took
debian's code, added a couple of drivers, and are now charging for it.
At least Bill Gates blatantly stole DOS and OS2. I mean,
designed windows himself.
[]'s

Mike

I would have thought it would be perfectly legal for them to sell it -
but under the license, they'd still have to provide source code.
.