Re: unistallation

On 26-Apr-11 3:58 PM, idoc wrote:
To: alt.linux
can I unistall linux???? help me. I never do it. idoc

Yes you can. Here is how to do it:

1) If you are running linux only, boot with a live linux cd and delete all linux partitions. Then, open a terminal and write "if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1" (without the quotes) and press enter. This will clear your MBR and you will end up with a virgin disk.

2) If you are dual booting with XP, again boot with a live linux cd and delete the linux partitions. Take extra care not to delete your Windows partitions. In order to fix your MBR, boot with your XP installation cd, select repair, enter the location of your XP (usually 1), enter admin password, type fixmbr and press enter, then type fixboot and press enter.

  • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
    ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
    ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Of mice and men
    ... They're two of the many Linux distributions. ... > provided it has its own partition. ... separate boot partition, but that's the easiest approach - unless ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)