Re: Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon

From: Thulemanden (thulemanden_at_staroffice.com)
Date: 07/06/03

Date: 6 Jul 2003 11:10:01 -0700

thulemanden@staroffice.com (Thulemanden) wrote in message news:<1cafcd14.0307060346.6bf7c444@posting.google.com>...
> When logging in on RH 8 I get this:
>
> Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon
>
> How do I fix it?

I found the culprit as I checked the packages and the Gnome option
had been turned off. As I selected Gnome desktop for installation, the
problem disappeared.

Of course I now got the 'Gnome Settings' into the menu.

I guess I just had installed KDE and not Gnome.

Perhaps Red Hat should protest if the needed Gnome file is not
installed.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: gnome installation
    ... Subject: gnome installation ... i have a machine on which only Command Line Interface is installed, its RHEL4, no GUI is installed on that machine, now i want to add G-Nome to my packages so i can use GUI, in GUI interface gnome provides with "add/remove applications" how i can use this "add/remove applications" in CLI or any other utility to automatically add all required packages for gnome ... useful tool that works across the RHL9/Fedora distributions and is the preferred dependency-solving and package installation tool. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fc5 thoughts
    ... Fedora 5 installation went well. ... Using the Gnome ... The new and improved bubbly fedora wallpaper had to go. ... Both Linux and Windows versions available). ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Package system totaly a complete mess
    ... I've lived for years using synaptic and I am no so used to aptitude - and I ... Possibly my installation is now in such a state that I should reinstall, ... searching for broken packages gives 0 packages in synatiptic but 6 packages ... I am thinking all this comes from the fact that I installed Wheezy with Gnome, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: You can have any color you want - as long as its Gnome?
    ... the Gnome desktop. ... I didn't see Xfce listed at all. ... installation -- it was probably me. ... I guess most people go with LXDE ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Why is Evolution and Epiphany now a part of gnome-core?
    ... But I can only see "one" guy in that bug report ... The size issue of fitting GNOME ... gnome-core = GNOME installation designed to fit on one CD ... don't use X or a DE, but when I'm using a GUI on Debian, and need to use ...
    (Debian-User)