Re: Compiling & installing RPMs

From: Jim Fischer (jfischer_link5809_at_now.here.com)
Date: 07/11/03

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:05:02 -0500

J.O. Aho wrote:
> Jim Fischer wrote:
>
>> Bill Unruh wrote:
>>
>>> ]2. a source RPM (srpm)
>>> rpm --rebuild name.of.the.src.rpm
>>

>> To the OP: If you are using a relatively new release of the Redhat
>> Package Manager [RPM] software, the program 'rpm' can no longer be
>> used to build source RPMs (as shown above). You must use a program
>> named 'rpmbuild' instead, e.g.,
>>
>> rpmbuild --rebuild name.of.the.src.rpm
>>

> You can lawyas make a newer version of rpm to behave as it did before
> like in RH7.3 and earlier, create a file named /etc/popt and paste the
> following rows into it:
>
> rpm exec --bp rpmb -bp
> rpm exec --bc rpmb -bc
> rpm exec --bi rpmb -bi
> rpm exec --bl rpmb -bl
> rpm exec --ba rpmb -ba
> rpm exec --bb rpmb -bb
> rpm exec --bs rpmb -bs
> rpm exec --tp rpmb -tp
> rpm exec --tc rpmb -tc
> rpm exec --ti rpmb -ti
> rpm exec --tl rpmb -tl
> rpm exec --ta rpmb -ta
> rpm exec --tb rpmb -tb
> rpm exec --ts rpmb -ts
> rpm exec --rebuild rpmb --rebuild
> rpm exec --recompile rpmb --recompile
> rpm exec --clean rpmb --clean
> rpm exec --rmsource rpmb --rmsource
> rpm exec --rmspec rpmb --rmspec
> rpm exec --target rpmb --target
> rpm exec --short-circuit rpmb --short-circuit
>
> If you read the man page for rpm, you will find thise rows too. I think
> this is easier than use the "rpmbuild", maybe this for it has always
> worked with the rpm when I used RedHat.

At present, this suggestion works. But it probably will not work in the
future. As stated in the rpm(8) man page:

"... Although legacy compatibility provided by the popt aliases below
has been adequate, the compatibility is not perfect; hence build mode
compatibility through popt aliases is being removed from rpm."

So IMHO, the OP should start using rpmbuild(8) now, rather than trying
to use the deprecated rpm(8) popt aliases.

--
Jim
To reply by email, remove "link" and change "now.here" to "yahoo"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Fedoras Amanda mispackaged? (was: Re: Backing up whole system)
    ... everytime I get rpm figured out so it will build from a src package, ... RPM .spec files are only a bit more than [and a bit ... All amanda versions have been compatible except for 2 steps in the amanda ... making a quick and dirty compatibility test less than ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Compiling & installing RPMs
    ... If you are using a relatively new release of the Redhat ... > to build source RPMs. ... If you read the man page for rpm, you will find thise rows too. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)