HELP: dir changed to a file and fsck f*cked me

From: Dustin (blackened_at_nospam.austin.rr.com)
Date: 08/01/03

Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 04:57:41 GMT

I have a directory that somehow changed to a file, and now I lost all
the contents of that directory. It had several gigs worth of mp3's,
and now they're all gone. Besides being incredibly pissed off, I
don't know what to do to fix it. I tried a reboot and it ran fsck,
then bitched, dropped me to root mode, and told me to run fsck
manually. I did so, and it died on some short read b.s. and asked me
if I wanted to ignore the error. I said no, so it decided to exit
fsck, and subsequent attempts at running fsck showed that my disk was
clean with no errors.

WTF is going on? I'm trying to keep my cool as I type this, but I am
so pissed right now that all my data is gone. The data is still on
the drive, because the directory was very large, and that disk space
has not been reclaimed ever since the dir changed permissions.

The directory changed from:

drwxr-xr-x

Notice it changed from a dir 755 to a file 000.

Please help, I don't have my mp3's backed up so I've basically lost
everything if this actually happened.

-Dustin