Re: USB Drive

From: Arthur Samuels (arthursamuels_at_hotpop.com)
Date: 08/13/03

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:44:56 -0500

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:25:57 -0500, Arthur Samuels wrote:

> Been trying to get one of these to work with RH9.0 for weeks now. Added
> this to fstab
>
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/USB auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
> Rebooted. Was able to mount and access the pen drive to work ONCE. Got
> into it, saw the setup.exe file (a Windows program for drive security) and
> all was well, at least for reading it and as root. At least I GOT to the
> damned thing.
>
> Then I did a umount. Worked fine.
>
> Now a 'mount /mnt/USB' is back to giving me "/dev/sda1 is not a valid
> block device". This is unbelievably aggravating.

  Rebooted again. This time it:

1. Wiped out my /mnt/USB directory. Completely. I had to mkdir it again.

2. Deleted the /mnt/USB entry in fstab. I'd had one saved.

  However, I WAS able to mount it as root (I think making hardware work in
Linux qualifies as a miracle). I figure if I umount it, I won't be able to
mount it again.

  So here is my "working solution": Reboot. Create the /mnt/USB directory.
Copy the fstab.sav to fstab. Use su to become root. Mount the drive. Exit
back to a regular user login.

  This technically works, but what a kludge!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: disappearing mounted volumes
    ... and any attempt to use them gives an I/O error. ... at mount points other than what is mentioned in fstab for the device. ... If it happens again, I will try umount -f, but even if it works, I'll have ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: access permission on mounted fat32 drive
    ... pay attentition to that line in fstab, I guess with option 'auto', this ... file system was firstly mounted by root, try change auto => noauto. ... you can use 'usermount' tool to do mount or unmount. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: How to make mount command mount partions as user not only as root ?
    ... Mount command reads what is written in fstab, ... You appear to have root ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • [kde-linux] Re: mounting fixed and removable devices
    ... the fixed and the removable devices are ... I only can mount the removable devices. ... It's thus likely that it's the fstab listing triggering the "ignore" ... that line in fstab should allow hal (and thus kde) to access it. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [SLE] NIS /home problem
    ... and mount it on /home on the client but yast doesn't let me. ... Originally did the client have an fstab with a line something like this? ... You should be able to log in as root. ...
    (SuSE)