Re: USB Drive

From: Arthur Samuels (arthursamuels_at_hotpop.com)
Date: 08/13/03

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:44:56 -0500

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:25:57 -0500, Arthur Samuels wrote:

> Been trying to get one of these to work with RH9.0 for weeks now. Added
> this to fstab
>
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/USB auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
> Rebooted. Was able to mount and access the pen drive to work ONCE. Got
> into it, saw the setup.exe file (a Windows program for drive security) and
> all was well, at least for reading it and as root. At least I GOT to the
> damned thing.
>
> Then I did a umount. Worked fine.
>
> Now a 'mount /mnt/USB' is back to giving me "/dev/sda1 is not a valid
> block device". This is unbelievably aggravating.

  Rebooted again. This time it:

1. Wiped out my /mnt/USB directory. Completely. I had to mkdir it again.

2. Deleted the /mnt/USB entry in fstab. I'd had one saved.

  However, I WAS able to mount it as root (I think making hardware work in
Linux qualifies as a miracle). I figure if I umount it, I won't be able to
mount it again.

  So here is my "working solution": Reboot. Create the /mnt/USB directory.
Copy the fstab.sav to fstab. Use su to become root. Mount the drive. Exit
back to a regular user login.

  This technically works, but what a kludge!