new gcc on rh 7.3

From: Nico Heid (kamikazeeman_at_gmx.de)
Date: 08/24/03

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:53:13 +0200

i have a remote machine somewhere in the net.
i have all rights, connect via ssh.

so far so good ;-p

this server is running a miminalistic redhat 7.3

i want/need a new gcc for some programs.

rpm installing doesn't work so i thought about building
the gcc manually.

visited gnu.gcc.org downloaded sources but compiling always fails.

does anyone know a kind of "easy instruction" how to set up
gcc and why compiling could fail?

i get errors like these:

(excerpt of make output after compile was fine)
jargrep.o:/home/achilles/glibc_vh/gcc-3.3_b/fastjar/../../gcc-3.3/fastjar/jargre
p.c:500: more undefined references to `__ctype_b' follow
../libiberty/libiberty.a(regex.o): In function `xregcomp':
/home/achilles/glibc_vh/gcc-3.3_b/libiberty/../../gcc-3.3/libiberty/regex.c:8043
: undefined reference to `__ctype_tolower'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [grepjar] Error 1

thanks for any help

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Anyone interested in building a vms-like OS?
    ... then you have a good reason for preferring the BSD license over GPL. ... geeks :-) is that it is fast, 5-10 times faster than gcc, while still ... Compiling 10 times faster with almost no optimization does not ... It is compiling much faster but doing less optimizations. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Conexant HCF Modem Problems
    ... Conexant HCF modem, which is a "controllerless" modem, not a HSF which ... files to compile and to install but the problem is when I try to config ... compiling (gcc) mod_osspec.c ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • [ANN] macstl 0.1.5 -- Xcode compatibility
    ... The new version also has fixes for older gcc ... Now builds with Xcode 1.0. ... Fixed altivec functions not compiling in gcc 3.1: ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: endianness and failure with inline
    ... it fails with a similar message. ... "extern inline". ... This could be a bug. ... I have no idea why gcc is having issues with the inline specifier. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Finally one site with all the C fundas
    ... was pretty lenient and we did not actively pursue compiling the tool ... the CPU/memory architecture doesn't allow unaligned accesses. ... Also gcc 3.3.6 would have spotted that if invoked with the '-W' ... Casting the return value of mallocis never necessary ...
    (comp.lang.c)