new gcc on rh 7.3

From: Nico Heid (kamikazeeman_at_gmx.de)
Date: 08/24/03

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:53:13 +0200

i have a remote machine somewhere in the net.
i have all rights, connect via ssh.

so far so good ;-p

this server is running a miminalistic redhat 7.3

i want/need a new gcc for some programs.

rpm installing doesn't work so i thought about building
the gcc manually.

visited gnu.gcc.org downloaded sources but compiling always fails.

does anyone know a kind of "easy instruction" how to set up
gcc and why compiling could fail?

i get errors like these:

(excerpt of make output after compile was fine)
jargrep.o:/home/achilles/glibc_vh/gcc-3.3_b/fastjar/../../gcc-3.3/fastjar/jargre
p.c:500: more undefined references to `__ctype_b' follow
../libiberty/libiberty.a(regex.o): In function `xregcomp':
/home/achilles/glibc_vh/gcc-3.3_b/libiberty/../../gcc-3.3/libiberty/regex.c:8043
: undefined reference to `__ctype_tolower'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [grepjar] Error 1

thanks for any help

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Anyone interested in building a vms-like OS?
    ... then you have a good reason for preferring the BSD license over GPL. ... geeks :-) is that it is fast, 5-10 times faster than gcc, while still ... Compiling 10 times faster with almost no optimization does not ... It is compiling much faster but doing less optimizations. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Conexant HCF Modem Problems
    ... Conexant HCF modem, which is a "controllerless" modem, not a HSF which ... files to compile and to install but the problem is when I try to config ... compiling (gcc) mod_osspec.c ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: If It Were Easy...
    ... get away with _not_ compiling my original questionable code! ... And, that doesn't work in standard C, nor in gcc when used normally. ... try and ensure there were no chip bugs and no compilers bugs, ... I don't find any that define real alias analysis. ...
    (comp.arch)
  • [ANN] macstl 0.1.5 -- Xcode compatibility
    ... The new version also has fixes for older gcc ... Now builds with Xcode 1.0. ... Fixed altivec functions not compiling in gcc 3.1: ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Finally one site with all the C fundas
    ... was pretty lenient and we did not actively pursue compiling the tool ... the CPU/memory architecture doesn't allow unaligned accesses. ... Also gcc 3.3.6 would have spotted that if invoked with the '-W' ... Casting the return value of mallocis never necessary ...
    (comp.lang.c)