Re: IPTables behind a router ?

From: steve harris (steveharris1_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/26/03

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:47:25 -0500

Interlude wrote:
> steve harris wrote:
>

>>well,
>>there is no sense in stopping something twice so you will have to make a
>>list of what the router stops and a list of what iptables you set up
>>will stop.
>>
>>I use Newriders.com Linux Firewalls 2nd edition. (red bunder) to set up
>>iptables. The 1st edition (purple binder) only covered ipchains.
>>
>>As to what the router is doing, good luck. The elcheapos I have, I think
>>the store cash register receipt is larger than the documentation....
>>
>>Steve
>

> Thanks for the reply there Steve. I did a Google on that book and it looks
> like just the kind of thing I need to read. Thanks for the reference.
>
> I've got the 'standard-issue' Linksys BEFSR41 router/gateway. It does 'what
> it says on the tin' so to speak, but I'd like to get more specific with
> what's allowed in and out, so that book should help me do it.
>

> Interlude.

th ebook is full of examples covering just about any port to pass or
block, whether workstation or server.

What the Linksys is doing, you can go to scan.sygate.com and scan all
65k ports instead of the few common ones everyone else checks.
:)

If you need to...

Steve

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need SMTP Server
    ... Thank you very much much Steve. ... What I got from this Sanford character seemed to be more in the form of abuse and distain. ... These forums should be public forums where one goes for help on a subject. ... Change the SMTP port to 587 and send yourself a test message to your gmail account, ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.smtp_nntp)
  • Re: Opening a specific TCP port on a Netscreen 5XT
    ... > Steve wrote: ... Objects/Services create a new Custom service for the port and protocol ... Create a new VIP instance on your untrust IP. ... Create a new VIP service specifying the internal IP of the destination ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Unable to initialize device prn
    ... Thanks so far to both Anonymous and Steve. ... On my old pc I can print from command promt - but from the new pc, ... So do you know how I can configure the port or configure command promt - so ... If LPT3 gives you an error then just replace it with LPT. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Windows 2000 Terminal Server and Printers
    ... Steve ... > point it to our print server. ... > choose local port. ... >> I have tried installing the printer as a local administrator on the ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: issue with Chipscope
    ... In the original post, steve wrote: ... it's a port on the ChipScope ... and then attach that signal to the ChipScope ... When in trainings I recommend to all write code as simple as possible, many times "complex" solutions or no common used structures are poorly supported or totally unsupported in one or other synthesis tool. ...
    (comp.lang.vhdl)