Re: Redhat Kernel updates catuion

From: jeem (jrclare_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: 09/26/03

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:49:19 GMT

JimL wrote:
> Why is my hardware platform different from my machine and processor?
>
> [root@tyanbox root]# uname -p
> i586
> [root@tyanbox root]# uname -i
> i386
> [root@tyanbox root]# uname -m
> i586
>
> Did I screw up?
>
> JimL
>

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:27:15 GMT, Lenard <lenard@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:11:33 -0400, Jeffrey Silverman typed:
>>

>>>I am thinking about installing the RedHat kernel updates up from
>>>
>>> 2.4.20-8

>>> 2.4.20-20.9
>>>
>>>Whate caveats and cautions should I know about? What might I break? Am
>>>I worrying too much?
>>
>>Upgrading a release kernel (correctly) is not a problem, you will not
>>break anything (99.99% sure) and yes your worrying to much.
>>

>>>I am going to use up2date to do this. Or should I download the kernel
>>>and install it as a second kernel instead of upgrading the current
>>>kernel? (I know that this is the recommended procedure when *compiling*
>>>a new kernel).
>>
>>It's best to install the new kernel and keep the current kernel.
>>
>>rpm -ivh <file_name>
>>
>>FYI: Unless you want the RPM file you do not need to download it to
>>install it. As root from the console or xterm session type something like;
>>
>>rpm -ivh ftp://updates.redhat.com/9/en/os/i686/kernel-2.4.20-20.9.i686.rpm
>>
>>Modify to match your actual system processor hint: uname -p

I get i686, i386, i686. It seems like the same type thing. I wouldn't worry.
Jeem

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Redhat Kernel updates catuion
    ... JimL wrote: ... > Did I screw up? ... >>Upgrading a release kernel is not a problem, ... >>It's best to install the new kernel and keep the current kernel. ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: Redhat Kernel updates catuion
    ... JimL wrote: ... > Did I screw up? ... >>Upgrading a release kernel is not a problem, ... >>It's best to install the new kernel and keep the current kernel. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    ... > kernel upgrade depends on a new wpa_supplicant package. ... I've broken stuff by upgrading glibc, upgrading X, upgrading KDE... ... Automating the patch flow allowed entire subsystems to be effectively ... maintain a tree and merge with linus, and back then the -ac tree was very ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Removal of GEOM_BSD, GEOM_MBR, GEOM_PC98 and GEOM_SUNLABEL (recap)
    ... Same with all attempts with any previous amd64 revision). ... first question: Where were those nice GEOM devices that so nicely showed up and held ALL of the above on my previous 7.2-STABLE? ... Tried by taking GEOM_PART out of the picture and kernel recompile. ... "I think it is less painful for folks upgrading from 7 to just use the old names. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Your worst project?
    ... Is the real time compatible with rtai? ... It actually runs above the Linux kernel, and makes Linux the lowest priority task. ... The RT programs run as loadable kernel modules, and run with kernel privileges, and also kernel restrictions. ... Yes, and I've actually got a screw made like that from some other machine, but it is obviously not a Bridgeport BOSS part. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)