Re: anti-virus program

From: Snydley (snydley2REMOVETHIS_at_stny.rr.com)
Date: 12/21/03

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:41:36 GMT

Ok, That's good to know. Since this system is just for my personal
enjoyment, and no one else is dependent on it, I guess I won't worry about
it. WOW, Linux has really got it over any of that Microsloth crap in this
regard!! I must get 3 or 4 emails daily with a virus attached. Nicely too is
that Roadrunner, my ISP runs their virus scanner on all of my messages
before I get them. I wasn't sure if I liked that or not, but if it'll
prevent just one nasty infection, what the hey,

Thanks,

"Bit Twister" <BitTwister@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:14:44 GMT, Snydley wrote:
> > Is there an anti-virus program for RH9, or is that something that isn't
> > necessary for RH9?
>
> Not much use for spending manhours for making a virus scanner for linux.
>
> I think there are less than 300 (virus,worms, trojans) total for Unix
> in the last 30 years and those have been closed out with recent
> software updates.
>
> The OS is virus resistant unless you are running as root
> instead of using a regular account.
> http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#virus
>
> Check your linux vendor for updates *regularly*.
>
> For some light reading:
> http://www.claws-and-paws.com/virus/articles/linux_viruses.shtml
> http://librenix.com/?inode=21
>
> Now if you need linux to scan email passed through for Micro$not
> then see if your Micro$oft virus scanner vendor has one for linux.
> You might need other vendors if you are using linux as a file server
> for Bill'$ code.
>
> More answers at
> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
> good virus scanner in the first box
> *linux* in the Newsgroup, pick english
>
> returns over 9,000 hits, change to best virus scanner
> returns over 400 hits
>
> Five minutes of just looking for links in the text gets me,
> in no order of importance:
>
> http://www.centralcommand.com
> http://www.symantec.com/product
> http://mcafee.com
> http://www.openantivirus.org
> http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=virus&section=projects
> http://www.f-secure.com/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openantivirus
> http://www.sophos.com
> http://www.kaspersky.com
> http://www.pspl.com
> http://www.hbedv.com
> http://www.ravantivirus.com
> http://www.antivirus.com
> http://clamav.elektrapro.com/
> http://www.openantivirus.org
>
> Use http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search again to
> check responses for the product you think about using.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause
    ... You may not be running a virus scanner, ... are not stupid enough to ignore the need for chkrootkit and some file ... RUN on any Linux system. ... Nothing more happened and nothing more can happen unless the worm ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: What is Dazuko?
    ... >> Dazuko can run several daemons in one real time scan. ... Its possible to scan every Linux file, which already runs or will start ... but only with AntiVir virus scanner and you have to run AVGuard. ... > it does not make sense to scan a Linux machine for Windows virusses. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Security for the desktop user
    ... If the bean counter doesn't have sufficient clue for this to satisfy them, ... Whilst I'd agree with you on the subject of viable viruses for Linux its ... It makes more sense to run the virus scanner on the system which is affected by ... Any machine connected to the University network ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: [SLE] Virus Scanner
    ... > other mail server, that my computer send viruses on Saturday, ... > possible spam. ... > Our office mail server use f-prot as virus scanner and clamuko ... Linux virus they dont exist out there and attempts at illicit ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: What are the best virus scanners 4 linux?
    ... i think he wanted a recommendation from other peoples experience, ... > Not much use for spending manhours for making a virus scanner for linux. ... > returns over 9,000 hits, change to best virus scanner ...
    (alt.linux)