Re: usb mass storage now is FAT32 (vfat) but maybe ext3 is better?

From: Dan Hitt (hitt_at_panix.com)
Date: 01/03/04

Date: 3 Jan 2004 15:20:18 -0500

Hi Lenard,

Thanks for your advice, to read the man page for mount and fstab and to
add a line in /etc/fstab like
   /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb_drive vfat noauto,users,rw 0 0

Having the "users" option in the fstab line helps, sort of, at least
in the sense that any user can mount it.

But then all the files show up as owned by that user.

What i would like is to have some files owned by user A and
some files owned by user B, at the same time, and for this
to persist when the system is umounted and remounted.

Is this possible on vfat?

And if not, is it possible to reformat the drive
(e.g., fdisk + mkfs)?

Thanks in advance for any information.

dan

In article <pan.2004.01.03.12.59.43.729325@127.0.0.1>,
Lenard <lenard@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 04:58:23 -0500, Dan Hitt typed:
>
>> I've just got a USB hard disk drive which i've attached to my redhat 7.3
>> system.
>>
>> The system recognized it, and according to the /sbin/fdisk program, it has
>> a partition of type "Win95 FAT32 (LBA)" already on it.

Relevant Pages

  • [kde-linux] Re: mounting fixed and removable devices
    ... the fixed and the removable devices are ... I only can mount the removable devices. ... It's thus likely that it's the fstab listing triggering the "ignore" ... that line in fstab should allow hal (and thus kde) to access it. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: F20 is fubar
    ... Chris Murphy wrote: ... off wired for starters to get kernel, wpa_supplicant, NetworkManager and ... when the system encountered a nfs mount in the fstab, ... but honestly I would settle for an option in fstab to manually provide that info. ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: Machine not Booting - Continued
    ... The fstab is not to blame for this issue as i have just run mkraid /dev/md0 ... and then a mount -a and the area mounted straight away. ... it has no proper file system to mount. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: How to set /etc/fstab again after system has started
    ... That is the incorrect statement. ... With an appropriate entry in fstab, it takes very little, ... but without it the mount command needs more information. ... The previous poster went off on a tangent, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Machine not Booting - Update
    ... When i try a mount -a when the machine has come up i get the error below. ... I know the fs type is OK, the options are right in the fstab and i only ... This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by ... within the Corus group of companies, ...
    (RedHat)