Re: Hyperthreading on 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 (Redhat)

From: General Schvantzkoph (schvantzkoph_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/18/04

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:38:12 -0500

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:56:25 +0000, red floyd wrote:

> I have an RH8 box, with 2 P4 Xeons. I recently enabled hyperthreading
> in the BIOS, but am still only seeing 2 CPUs.
>
> I have tried Redhat kernels 2.4.18-14 and 2.4.20-28.8. I looked at the
> source in arch/i386/kernel/{setup,smpboot}.c, and it looks like there's
> an error in the hyperthreading detection logic. There's some major
> changes to this code in the vanilla 2.4.25 kernel.
>
> Anyone got HT working on an SMP box with a stock RH kernel?
> Alternatively, what's the diff between a RH kernel and a vanilla kernel?
> If I put a vanilla kernel on this box, will it break any RH specific stuff?
>
> Thanks in advance

A standard kernel will work fine, go ahead and build a 2.4.25 and give it
a try. BTW hyperthreading doesn't work very well, my tests showed that
hyperthreading increades throughput by only 10% while reducing individual
thread performance by 25%.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: hyper threading.
    ... So what that says it that the kernel network code doesn't get any ... >> multiple physical processors. ... >> an obvious performance gain, and hyperthreading does, too, although ... > an obvious performance gain, and hyperthreading does, too, although it's ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Hyperthreading on 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 (Redhat)
    ... but am still only seeing 2 CPUs. ... > an error in the hyperthreading detection logic. ... > Anyone got HT working on an SMP box with a stock RH kernel? ... > If I put a vanilla kernel on this box, will it break any RH specific stuff? ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Hyperthreading on 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 (Redhat)
    ... but am still only seeing 2 CPUs. ... > an error in the hyperthreading detection logic. ... > Anyone got HT working on an SMP box with a stock RH kernel? ... > If I put a vanilla kernel on this box, will it break any RH specific stuff? ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Hyperthreading on 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 (Redhat)
    ... but am still only seeing 2 CPUs. ... > an error in the hyperthreading detection logic. ... > Anyone got HT working on an SMP box with a stock RH kernel? ... > If I put a vanilla kernel on this box, will it break any RH specific stuff? ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Frequent Hangs w/ Fedora Core 2 on IBM ThinkCentre 8187-KU
    ... > w/ hyperthreading. ... This machine seems to hang hard after a day or so of ... I'm running the SMP kernel. ... because it is a hyperthreading CPU it is treated as 2 CPUs. ...
    (Fedora)