Re: Linux Boot Disk

From: Slashdot (
Date: 05/02/04

Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 06:37:35 GMT

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 02:37:52 -0400, wrote:

> Fearless wrote:
>> I've seen a couple of articles on making a boot CD for Linux, but none
>> seem to be as compact as the "boot floppy".
> Have you tried the mini-CDs? They're about half the size and hold about 200
> meg. I've found them at Circuit City and Best Buy here in the U.S., but you
> have to look. Apparently they're not a big seller.
> --Rod
Ummm...I am pretty sure that the original poster was meaning compact
in terms of total file/directory size...not the actual physical size
of the medium.
> __________
> Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
> and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
> To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

"On a still night, you can hear a Window$ box reboot"
Registered Linux User #334533

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
    ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
  • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
    ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
  • Re: Of mice and men
    ... They're two of the many Linux distributions. ... > provided it has its own partition. ... separate boot partition, but that's the easiest approach - unless ...