Re: Fedora or Mandrake?

From: General Schvantzkoph (schvantzkoph_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/26/04

    Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:33:45 -0400

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:30:05 +0000, Matt wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >>> Devote a few hours each to Mandrake 9.1, Fedora Core 1, and maybe SuSE
    >>> 9.0. Then choose the one you like best. Assuming you have a fast
    >>> connection and can download each.
    >>

    >> Thanks - but why are you suggesting old versions?
    >> Are they easier to deal with?
    >> I have downloaded Mandrake 10.0 Official and Fedora Core 2.
    >> (Didn't know you could download SuSE?)
    >
    > I understand that certain versions such as Mandrake 9.2 are troublesome.
    > The latest is not always the greatest. Patches downloaded using apt
    > or yum or up2date or equivalent will bring an older distro up to date.
    >
    > You can download (mirror) the whole SuSE installation tree or install by
    > ftp or http, but they don't provide the CD ISO images.

    SUSE 9.1 will become available on the mirrors on June 4. I wouldn't waste
    the bandwidth mirroring the 9.0 tree with 9.1 so close. When 9.1 becomes
    available you can download the tree and then do a network install from
    your local mirror.

    Mandrake 9.2 had a bug that fried LG CDROM drives, if you don't have an LG
    drive then 9.2 with the current patches is a very nice distro. The
    fixed version of 9.2, 9.2.1, is available to Mandrake Club members. Don't
    know if the 9.2 ISOs that are on the mirrors are really 9.2.1 but I don't
    think so. 10.0 Official is the latest and it's pretty good for a .0
    release.

    • Re: [opensuse] download
      ... I've tried to download from the SuSE site and it simply takes ... I guess there could be a mirror problem, ... Why can't SuSE manage to offer the same and for 12.X which the ... Support!= for sale in a box. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: mandrake versus suse
      ... > if you download and install using ftp or http. ... Mandrake free, Suse costs money. ...
      (alt.linux)
    • Re: Mandrake vs SuSE
      ... As a long time SuSE user, and a previous and now again Mandrake user, I'd ... The Mandrake Control Center is child's play compared to YaST. ... whereas SuSE forces you to download them post installation. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Migrating from RedHat to Debian
      ... > and you make a good point about the stability of Fedora. ... > I note MailScanner's latest version has a download specifically for SUSE ... Hence, I decided against Mandrake. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Help/Question SCM2662 (USB - atmel) wireless card on SuSe 9.1
      ... boot Mandrake, download the whole directory under Mandrake, boot SUSE, ... mount the mandrake system on SuSe and install from hard disk. ... find the correct folder on the mirror. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)