Re: system console

From: Terry A. Haimann (terry_at_pegasus.oldboy.com)
Date: 07/16/04

    Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:14:57 GMT

    What the real problem was, was that I had created a cronn job and it
    wasn't running and I was wanting to see what was really going on. I
    learned later that it was some sort of security problem and wasn't being
    ran (even though /var/log/cron said it was.) It would have been nice if I
    could have fired up a virtual console and watched the messages go by. I
    believe standard unix has such a capability.

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:48:41 -0500, AG wrote:

    > "Terry A. Haimann" <terry@pegasus.oldboy.com> wrote in message
    >> I am a mainframe computer operator, and on such systems the main console
    >> lists when all jobs start/end, all sign ins are displayed and all
    >> system messages are also displayed.
    >>
    >> Is there a way for a command prompt to become system console under linux
    >> or how else would one obtain this information?
    >>
    >> I've looked through the /var/log/* and haven't seen anything of that
    > depth.
    >>
    >> Terry
    >>
    > If you sign in as root, go to the root directory and run tail -f
    > bash_history that will show all commands that are run as root. Hope this
    > helps.
    > AG

    • Re: system console
      ... > I am a mainframe computer operator, and on such systems the main console ... > lists when all jobs start/end, all sign ins are displayed and all ... > Is there a way for a command prompt to become system console under linux ... If you sign in as root, go to the root directory and run tail -f ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • kernel allows loadkeys to be used by any user, allowing for local root compromise
      ... It does not just apply to the current virtual console ... > Then log out and let root login (in a computer pool, ... > As a solution, I propose that the loadkeys command (or more exactly, the ... Most of the VT ioctls are only garded by the following permissions, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Problem with xterm/console
      ... I'd really like to start working as a standard user ... exactly like you wrote above - use root only when it's needed. ... >>console) works perfectly. ... if you're installing packages from rpm's (as you ought to be ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: cannot log in via console, cannot su(1), only as root
      ... questions@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of martinko ... cannot log in via console, cannot su, only as root ... suto a normal user (it even doesn't ask for password a throws ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: How to edit a read-only file
      ... > I booted the laptop w knoppix cd 4.0.2 I've been learning the console today. ... Is the partition mounted read only? ... > <are you not root? ... Don't speak of such things - that implies you are using a gui (the only ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)