Re: Fedora Core 2 or White Box Enterprise Linux?

From: AG (atenor_at_email.com)
Date: 07/20/04

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:01:33 -0500

"mica" <no_nomine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:y5TKc.466$Dl4.465@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
> "Michael Heiming" <michael+USENET@www.heiming.de> wrote in message
>
> Well, thanks for the responses guys. I checked out that link you posted
> Michael - looks like they've re-released the old RedHat Pro shrink wrapped
> package whilst declaring it not open source (i.e. none of the iso images
> posted for free download etc). From what I can see the RH Pro Workstation
> license only allows one machine to be registered for the RH Update
process,
> unlike the old basic subscription, which allowed two, and for somewhat
less
> outlay per annum. The last RH Pro box I bought was 7.2 and istr that it
cost
> me about the same then as 2 of the new version from Amazon would now. So,
> horses for courses. I've downloaded and burnt the Fedora Core 2 and White
> Box respin 1 iso images, so I might give eac a go on consecutive weekends
> and see which suits my requirements - and then build a robust case to keep
> that one going - with a fallback position of the Pro Workstation package,
if
> I'm unsuccessful.................
>
> Regards

I just downloaded the ISO images to CentOS 3.1 which is like Whitebox in
that it is based on the RH Sources. It also will not do an upgrade to a RH9
install, it wants to do a fresh install, which doesn't help me much as I
really don't want to have to reconfigure 8 servers, with the downtime that
would mean for my customers.
I'm not much interested in being a guinipig for RedHat so there's no way I'm
going to use Fedora in a production environment, even though I put it on a
laptop and it ran fine till the MB went out on the computer, which was not ,
of course, Fedora's fault.

AG