Re: Fedora Core 2 or White Box Enterprise Linux?

From: AG (atenor_at_email.com)
Date: 07/20/04

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:01:33 -0500

"mica" <no_nomine@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:y5TKc.466$Dl4.465@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
> "Michael Heiming" <michael+USENET@www.heiming.de> wrote in message
>
> Well, thanks for the responses guys. I checked out that link you posted
> Michael - looks like they've re-released the old RedHat Pro shrink wrapped
> package whilst declaring it not open source (i.e. none of the iso images
> posted for free download etc). From what I can see the RH Pro Workstation
> license only allows one machine to be registered for the RH Update
process,
> unlike the old basic subscription, which allowed two, and for somewhat
less
> outlay per annum. The last RH Pro box I bought was 7.2 and istr that it
cost
> me about the same then as 2 of the new version from Amazon would now. So,
> horses for courses. I've downloaded and burnt the Fedora Core 2 and White
> Box respin 1 iso images, so I might give eac a go on consecutive weekends
> and see which suits my requirements - and then build a robust case to keep
> that one going - with a fallback position of the Pro Workstation package,
if
> I'm unsuccessful.................
>
> Regards

I just downloaded the ISO images to CentOS 3.1 which is like Whitebox in
that it is based on the RH Sources. It also will not do an upgrade to a RH9
install, it wants to do a fresh install, which doesn't help me much as I
really don't want to have to reconfigure 8 servers, with the downtime that
would mean for my customers.
I'm not much interested in being a guinipig for RedHat so there's no way I'm
going to use Fedora in a production environment, even though I put it on a
laptop and it ran fine till the MB went out on the computer, which was not ,
of course, Fedora's fault.

AG

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Red Hat Linux SOHO router setup
    ... "gentle" kill. ... Thanks for the suggestion to download the cd images from the redhet ... accidentally stumbled onto distrowatch with the link to the iso images ... but I wonder how the ISP differentiates me ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • RE: Do I need to convert ISO image to Bootable CD??
    ... > I have already downloaded the ISO images, but i wasnt able to boot ... You may need to download the files again to get a clean ... The disk you burned is bad. ... The machine you are trying to boot from CD has a CD drive that has ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: slackware-10.0-install-d*.torrent
    ... > Matthew Arroyo wrote: ... > use a bittorrent client to download the iso images. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: FC3 mediacheck
    ... Download iso images w/wget (for example: ... > I downloaded the ISO images to this PC using Opera. ... > Somebody else on my local LUG has CDs which pass the media check, ... > Nero to burn them, ...
    (Fedora)
  • [Debian 6] - unexpected issue with iso images
    ... I am running Debian 5, on my computers that are running Debian. ... I reasoned that using Debian 6 DVD iso images should include all appropriate drivers for installing the operating system. ... I tried to download the new Debian 6.0.1 DVD iso images. ... Then, I tried downloading the 64 bit version, using the http method, in a web browser window. ...
    (Debian-User)