Re: Fedora Core2 AMD64 doesn't find harddisk on install? RESOLVED!

From: Michael Kirschner (michael.kirschner_at_t-online.de)
Date: 07/23/04

    Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:36:41 +0200

    Hi there,

    I got the solution from someone who uses FC2. It is NOT the SATA Raid
    driver.

    The SN85G4 uses internal USB card readers, which confuse Feodora's hardware
    probing. Therefore I booted the install with the "noprobe" option. However,
    if you do this, FC2 won't recognize the SATA Raid controller, which leads to
    the effect below.

    After deactivation of all USB devices I could install Fedora with no problem
    (without "noprobe" of course).

    Maybe someone finds thi information useful...

    Michael

    "Michael Kirschner" <michael.kirschner@t-online.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to Linux, so my question might be silly. Excuse...
    >
    > This is the first time I try to install Linux. I downloaded and burnt FC2
    > DVD, then booted from DVD. I had to start the installation with the
    > "noprobe" option to get anaconda running. The graphical GUI gets me to the
    > point where the harddisk needs to be partitioned, but then doesn't detect
    > the harddisk ("No drives found") and the install is aborted. I am running
    > WinXP and Win98SE on the same computer in a multiboot system, so the
    > hardware should be ok.
    >
    > I have a shuttle SN85G4 computer with a SiI 3512 SATA Raid controller, and
    > 160GB Seagate Barracuda SATA harddisk. The Processor is an AMD64 3200+
    > (512MB L2 cache), NVidia Nforce 3 chipset, 1024M RAM.
    >
    > Any idea how to complete the Linux installation?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Michael

    • Re: Possible bug in FC2?
      ... past by choosing the text install instead of the gui. ... > responses that would seem to indicate a lack of support (or hardware ... > list might provide more conclusive feedback as to whether I can use FC2, ... > I'm attempting to install FC2 onto a Gateway laptop. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: FC1 works fine but unable to install FC2
      ... > When I run the install, I tell it to skip the mediacheck. ... > but wouldn't run the FC2 install. ... specific issues with the hardware you are trying to load on. ... Google for your particular error message. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Detection of 16GB RAM
      ... If the hardware supports it, ... I'd advise against using FC2 directly. ... Install RHEL/CentOS 4.7. ... Assuming that you are using a rather new multi-core server and assuming ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: memory
      ... > indicates I only have 19 K of physical memory. ... Download, install and run Belarc Advisor. ... Summarize the hardware (not the software section - that gives away ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • TuxOS (Debian-Based)
      ... separate matter, whereupon the hardware detection ... tools (Linux, Windows, DOS, whatever) meant specifically ... or Debian or TuxOS. ... For a distro that wants to install ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)