Re: Fedora or Mandrake?

From: Daniel (bikeman07_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 07/27/04

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:02:45 -0400

Will Gilliland wrote:
> I have WinXP Pro and Fedora Core 2 running just fine. I'm not sure what you
> mean by hosing up the windows partition.
>

> "Walt Fles" <wefles@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>
>>Mandrake 10 does not hose up your windows partition and MBR when u install
>>it like Fedora Core 2 does.

Documentation in English is available for both, although the Mandrake
documentation is only available for paid subscribers (at least, the last
time I checked their website). Mandrake, Fedora, and Suse all have/had
a problem with dual booting to Windows XP (the boot loader messed up the
count of cylinders, heads, and sectors, so it was unable to find the
Windows partition). This did not happen on every install, and there are
workarounds both during the install and after. This was a kernel issue,
and may have been fixed by now. In general, Mandrake is known as a
nice, friendly distro with strong multimedia support. However, I could
not get it to work on my spare PC (Suse did not work either). Fedora
Core 2 installed and has run flawlessly. The GUI Up2Date feature sucks
- sometimes it works, but often it locks. Do a Google search and you
will find a link to a YUM.conf file with instructions - I have found
that YUM has worked 100% of the time and is very easy, even if it is
used on the command line. Of course, since FC2 is a free development
project, it will have releases more often than Mandrake - if you want to
"set it and forget it" then Mandrake might be a better choice. YMMV!
Dan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Multiboot install of 9.1
    ... I definitely don't want to lose Mandrake because it is my ... and even though I rarely use Windows I need to keep Windows ... > Very early in the SuSE install, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Fedora Core 2 Install Problem
    ... > proceeded with the install I did a full installation. ... > listed two OS's Windows XP and Fedora core 2. ... > displayed its boot commands and windows wouldn't boot at all. ... > fedora core 2, It starts to boot the kernel and freezes. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: whats the easiest to use linux?
    ... > Mandrake took less than an hour to install and automagically recognized ... > wanted on Win that's not included with Windows like it is with most Linux ... Ok, for me, windows xp, i install it, install mobo drivers from motherboard ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: What is Best version of Linux?
    ... If you are a totally "clueless" Windows user (like my first, current, and very ... expensive wife) than you will want Mandrake, Xandros, or SuSE. ... notes and "follow along" as you do the install, ... big difference between most distros is the ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Fedora and reinstalling Windows
    ... Some time ago I installed Fedora Core 4 on my PC with your ... Everything was fine until when I decided to reinstall Windows ... I use the Windows XP boot manager to boot Fedora (via ... But did you install Windows first or Linux first? ...
    (Fedora)