Re: Hostname

From: George (boygeorgewGETRID_at_OFTHISyahoo.com)
Date: 08/01/04

Date: 1 Aug 2004 00:51:21 -0500

"Schewdent" <dont@mail.com> wrote in
news:pan.2004.07.31.23.02.14.537930@mail.com:

> Hi,
>
> When I set up my Redhat 9 box, my hostname was set to just
> localhost.localdomain . However when I boot up now, after being connected
> to the Internet, I get a "Welcome to 3342-hello-myisp.com"-ish message,
> ie. it's changed the hostname to that (I'm still seeing the "setting
> hostname to localhost.localdomain on every bootup though). Can someone
> please explain the intricacies of what's going on? I know that the
> computer gets itself an IP address via DHCP, what's the program on MY
> machine that handles this, and how do I configure it?
>
> I want it to stop changing the bloody name to whatever my ISP feels I
> should be called at the moment. However,... I'd *also* like to know
> what name I WOULD have been assigned, if I want to, heh heh :)
>
> How do I do this?
>

> Thanks for all your help,
>

> Schewdent.

I had the same problem, using comcast.net cable internet. Someone told me
to go into my network settings, and add a subdomain (I already had it set
to localhost.localdomain). So I changed it to local.localhost.localdomain,
and now it works fine, comes up as local. I guess it's just a quirk of
some ISPs.

Geo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hostname
    ... "Schewdent" wrote in ... > hostname to localhost.localdomain on every bootup though). ... > I want it to stop changing the bloody name to whatever my ISP feels I ... > what name I WOULD have been assigned, if I want to, heh heh:) ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: OEs DNS checking doesnt work
    ... If an IP address works, but a hostname does, the problem is ... probably with the interaction with the name server, ... to be sure outgoing mail now works. ... your ISP if that was intentional. ...
  • Re: Help beautify ugly heuristic code
    ... > mean anything except to the ISP). ... how much my code and yours differ in the detection process (i.e. where are ... Heuristically checks whether hostname is likely to represent ... seemingly random serial numbers in the hostname are also a hint ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Switching from dial up to cable ISP caused printer problem
    ... > several dial up ISP connections. ... Now with Cableone ethernet modem ISP I ... Try setting your dhcp to NOT change your hostname, ... DNS pointing to my public dynamic IP. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Help with email setup for small network (imap)
    ... >>related to the fact i don't have a real hostname. ... appending the hostname of your isp provider. ... > # swap out To: ... I set the hostname "manta" during the installation of ubuntu. ...
    (alt.os.linux)