Re: Kernel Panic

From: Jason Petersen (borg64_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/02/04

Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:46:16 GMT

Richard Wagner wrote:

> I am not sure what got my Fedora Core 2 into this state
:snip:
> accidently typing something in a Term window while root-user

I think you just answered your own question. Respect the power of root
by using the su or sudo commands. Don't log in as root, and don't leave
root terminals running for no reason. These simple guidelines will do
much to help protect your system from unfortunate accidents.

To fix the system, you can boot from the FC2 install CD and enter rescue
mode. However, it's going to be tough going unless you have a clear idea
of what happened. You might have a look at /root/.bash_profile to see
what command was accidentaly typed in.

--
Jason

Relevant Pages

  • Re: building 2.6.35
    ... than using root since as yourself you can't smash anything in the ... There is always a risk associated with *everything*. ... My experience is that accidents cause problems much more often than ... more often than intrusions. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Angle of attack
    ... accidents have as their root cause, failure by the pilot to maintain flying ... root cause of our most dangerous accidents. ... If the concept and practice of controlling angle of attack is not absolutely ...
    (rec.aviation.soaring)
  • Re: Bridge 1:0 Bus
    ... root cause of many accidents, as I have previously attempted to explain ... It clearly is capable of parallel processing - it can process duplex ... replenishment, temperature, pumps and hydraulics all at the same time, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: NIP arrived.
    ... > Traffic collisions that lies with the driver. ... There's no such thing as a "root cause" to the exclusion of others. ... accidents, a number of factors come into play, each one of which was ...
    (uk.rec.driving)