Re: How do security updates work, can they be automated / automatic ?

From: Paul Lutus (nospam_at_nosite.zzz)
Date: 08/21/04

    Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:32:26 -0700

    Dave Arbok wrote:

    > We are thinking about using a Red Hat Enterprise rebuild (White Box or
    > Tao Linux) on a server. The main reason we want to do this is the 5
    > year security update lifecycle. I hear that some people get very long
    > system uptimes because Linux can apply most updates without rebooting.
    >
    > Anyway, my question is, can the machine be set to get all security
    > updates automatically, is there a special utility for this or is it a
    > setting, how do you do it? Will a reboot ever be necessary? If a
    > reboot is necessary, what is the easiest and recommended way to get
    > all services running again, is it easy to set them all to run on
    > startup?
    >
    > Further info 1: (might be needed to understand question)
    > The goal is for the machine to sit in a locked room for 5 years or
    > until its hard drive dies (maybe until both its RAID mirrored drives
    > die, depending on costs), whichever comes first, and maintain security
    > without being touched - no administration via the web / webmin either
    > once it is set up. For the sake of argument, imagine that the
    > administrator is retiring with no replacement.

    So, let me get this straight. You want to lock a Linux system in a closet
    for five or more years, with no human intervention, AND you want it to be
    updated remotely with security bug fixes, also without any human
    intervention or reboots.

    The first part is possible, the second is not plausible.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    • RE: Ten least secure programs
      ... in relation to Linux distributions. ... Also note that many Linux security holes in 'non-core' ... Microsoft at releasing security patches, while Linux From Scratch, by ... speed of updates versus the quantity? ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: basic - continued - automatic updates
      ... Security in Linux is a matter of being vigilant about relevant updates ... Compare that to Windows. ... I have rejected updates. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • RE: SuS updates
      ... Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download and install updates on your computer. ... Subject: SuS update's ... So there is no possibility to enable the NO button so users can postpone the reboot with this setup? ... prospectus based upon the core principle concepts of security. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: [opensuse] Who said Linux doesnot get Virus infections
      ... but those tend to come in through security holes in server ... week on this list) for linux vs the occasional update from Microsoft -- ... I have several dozen updates to my ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Zonealarm
      ... > For other binaries that are not system binaries ... Since my security policy is proactive instead of reactive, ... it's on a small network systems so I also plan my updates after ... A fatal Operating Error Has Occurred and Windows must reboot. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)