nautilus thumbnailing wierdness

From: maxo (maxo_at_NOSPAMhome.se)
Date: 08/23/04

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 05:43:57 GMT

this is stumping me:

on FC2/Gnome2.6:

Nautilus was working flawlessly for the first couple weeks, thumbnailing
at an amazing speed both images and videos.

Now it will go into a directory and only show about half of the images as
thumbs, the others as icons. Videos get no thumbs. BUT, if I open up the
catalogue view, it will show the thumbs and when I go back to icon view it
will show *most* of them--still with a couple missing in large
collections--it seems it takes switching to this view to stimulate thumb
production.

Here's what's funny: my other user account and a guest account don't do
this!

Here's what I've tried out of desperation:

Deleting the ~.thumbnails folder
Deleting all nautilus data and config files (that I know of, the
~.nautilus, and the stuff under ~.gnome2)
Deleting ~.gconfig

I thought I could delete these things and Nautilus would regenerate
"healthy" settings upon logging in again. BTW, the delete .thumbnails
trick has worked in the past when Nautilus got slow and buggy.

No luck!

This is obviously a configuration issue, no? Since the other accounts are
able to use Nautilus without issue.

BTW, I use Emelfm for actual filemanaging before anybody says to use a
"real" file manager ;-) --I just happen to like Nautilus for casual
desktop-shmoe use. LOL

Thoughts? Solutions?

Relevant Pages

  • Nautilus no longer shows thumbnails
    ... Nautilus no longer shows files thumbnails, except that text files (I can ... no thumbnails are shown for image and pdf files. ... gives correctly a png file when run by root); ... quello che tu sei, non quello che hanno fatto di te." ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Nautilus: disabling PDF file thumbnails selectively ?
    ... I love it when Nautilus shows thumbnails for pics and videos, ... I hate it when it thumbnails PDF files. ... would be greatif Nautilus could adopt the plug-in system that ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Working with large directories
    ... thumbnails of files. ... resolve around sniffing file contents to work out file types. ... Get Nautilus to show a directory with say a smallish number of large ... Nautilus, pretty much, sucks as a file manager. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Nautilus: disabling PDF file thumbnails selectively ?
    ... I love it when Nautilus shows thumbnails for pics and videos, ... I hate it when it thumbnails PDF files. ... would be greatif Nautilus could adopt the plug-in system that ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: viewing photos from network attached storage
    ... viewing photos from network attached storage ... I can view the photos as thumbnails in nautilus. ... that smb is not a registered protocol, so I assume it is using SMB. ...
    (Ubuntu)