Add a Drive into a RAID 5

From: Scott Moseman (scmoseman_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/14/04

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:47:40 GMT

Assume an existing RAID 5 setup with 3 drives installed.
We want to add another drive, drive 4, to that RAID set.
Obviously without losing any data already on the volume.

I have never done this, but my hardware manufacturer is
saying that it's possible on their RAID controller. If I go
ahead and assume that is true, how would I go about the
process of updating Linux once the new drive is installed?

As far as I am aware, fdisk destroys the data, unless there
is some additional functionality that I am not familiar with.

PS- In case it matters, it is the last partition on the drive we
are wanting to add the space to. So it is not like we need to
upgrade a partition in the middle of the drive.

Thanks,
Scott Moseman