Add a Drive into a RAID 5

From: Scott Moseman (scmoseman_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/14/04

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:47:40 GMT

Assume an existing RAID 5 setup with 3 drives installed.
We want to add another drive, drive 4, to that RAID set.
Obviously without losing any data already on the volume.

I have never done this, but my hardware manufacturer is
saying that it's possible on their RAID controller. If I go
ahead and assume that is true, how would I go about the
process of updating Linux once the new drive is installed?

As far as I am aware, fdisk destroys the data, unless there
is some additional functionality that I am not familiar with.

PS- In case it matters, it is the last partition on the drive we
are wanting to add the space to. So it is not like we need to
upgrade a partition in the middle of the drive.

Thanks,
Scott Moseman

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to create a USB flash software repository?
    ... You can have the OS on / on a partition of say 10GB on the ... With drives already at this limit, ... I'm not sure how to get grub to boot RAID array if the device it thinks ... There is a new way of looking at backup if you have RAID. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] software RAID vs BIOS RAID
    ... I recently set up a server with four 1 TB drives, ... with LVM on RAID 4. ... I created a 2 GB partition to hold /boot and used ... create a raid1 array using all the partition-1's, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: RAID 1 drives and mirroring of data for backup question
    ... I reread the message and his RAID isn't ... > OP was that the 2nd partition existed, it just had nothing on it. ... > "Frank McCallister SBS MVP" wrote in message ... >>>I have a question about RAID 1 drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: questions on partitions for exchange
    ... If your backup is using the exchange backup API, ... build process that starts with a FAT partition and then converts it to NTFS. ... The second local RAID 1 with the SMTP is fine if this is not a cluster. ... Because of the limitation on the number of physical drives, ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.setup)
  • Re: least painless way to migrate to larger drives and partitions?
    ... after the drives are replaced. ... And I specificically mentioned that I'm not using hardware RAID. ... partition to fill the logical drive. ... "presented" to the OS by the RAID Hardware and its Firmware. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)