Re: fedora core 2 not booting

From: Lenard (lenard_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 10/04/04

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 15:58:57 GMT

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:44:27 -0500, Mike wrote:

> When I first attempted to install, the CD-ROM froze when I put disc two
> in. I could move the mouse, but the CD-ROM wasn't doing anything and it
> wouldn't eject. So I rebooted and used the update option rather than go
> through the whole process again. That's when I got the message:
> "Warning: No kernel packages were installed on your system. Your
> bootloader configuration will not be changed."

The fact that you had a failed attempt at the installation and you tried
the update option instead of a clean fresh re-installation is something
you should have included in your original posting. You did not finish
installing with your first attempt, the upgrade option was not a good
choice in this case. With that said, did the update option install
additional packages and finish? If not, then start again starting as a
fresh clean installation. If yes, then use the first installation CD or
the DVD and type 'linux rescue' without the quotes at the menu prompt,
answer a few questions and read the on screen displayed messages. The
messages will tell you how to mount your Linux partitions and use the
'chroot' command. After using the 'chroot' command install GRUB the
default bootloader choice for Fedora Core 2 by typing a command like;
grub-install --recheck /dev/hda

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rescuemode-boot.html

Since this sounds like a dual-boot system please consider at least
reviewing the information found here before starting the installation of
GRUB or doing fresh clean re-install;

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nodualboot

Actually the entire site is good to review, but this is the most important
issue you want to know about at this point.

http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/dualboot.html

Something more to consider before installing GRUB or re-installing.

And welcome to Linux. Please remember Linux is not Windows, you will find
that you will have a learning curve (and an unlearning curve) to get used
to. You have already started the learning curve process, how to install
GRUB and fix problems. It is usually not necessary to re-install Linux in
order to fix problems.

--
Hi!  I'm a .sig virus!  Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!