Re: fedora core 2 not booting

From: Lenard (lenard_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 10/04/04

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 15:58:57 GMT

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:44:27 -0500, Mike wrote:

> When I first attempted to install, the CD-ROM froze when I put disc two
> in. I could move the mouse, but the CD-ROM wasn't doing anything and it
> wouldn't eject. So I rebooted and used the update option rather than go
> through the whole process again. That's when I got the message:
> "Warning: No kernel packages were installed on your system. Your
> bootloader configuration will not be changed."

The fact that you had a failed attempt at the installation and you tried
the update option instead of a clean fresh re-installation is something
you should have included in your original posting. You did not finish
installing with your first attempt, the upgrade option was not a good
choice in this case. With that said, did the update option install
additional packages and finish? If not, then start again starting as a
fresh clean installation. If yes, then use the first installation CD or
the DVD and type 'linux rescue' without the quotes at the menu prompt,
answer a few questions and read the on screen displayed messages. The
messages will tell you how to mount your Linux partitions and use the
'chroot' command. After using the 'chroot' command install GRUB the
default bootloader choice for Fedora Core 2 by typing a command like;
grub-install --recheck /dev/hda

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rescuemode-boot.html

Since this sounds like a dual-boot system please consider at least
reviewing the information found here before starting the installation of
GRUB or doing fresh clean re-install;

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nodualboot

Actually the entire site is good to review, but this is the most important
issue you want to know about at this point.

http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/dualboot.html

Something more to consider before installing GRUB or re-installing.

And welcome to Linux. Please remember Linux is not Windows, you will find
that you will have a learning curve (and an unlearning curve) to get used
to. You have already started the learning curve process, how to install
GRUB and fix problems. It is usually not necessary to re-install Linux in
order to fix problems.

--
Hi!  I'm a .sig virus!  Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Should have left well alone...
    ... U should of asked for at least a 9.2.2 boot cd from ebay, ... > Went home with my trophy, popped DVD in the drive. ... > went for the update option. ... > saying installation could not be completed, ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: KDEGames3 (SUSE 9.1)
    ... > I didn't do a manual selection during installation - just accepted the ... > update option for KDEGames3 and inserted the Installation CD. ... > reinstalled the package but resulted in no change to the games available. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 4, Issue 259
    ... > One issue I am having involves the ggz installation. ... There could be lots of reasons for a Linux box not to boot into ... > not a Fedora issue, it's a 2.6 issue which SuSE and Mandrake also has. ... > Can a Linux machine route tcp/ip data from a modem link to a local net ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Improvement in Freeview tuning functionality
    ... difficult in Windows too, of course, but, as my post and the following ... Sorry, but are you claiming that with all linux distros, etc, it isn't ... support to a limited number of models, ... The second method is to take all the installation mechanisms of the OS ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Finding installed package files
    ... >> package, and to have easy access to those files, especially the ones ... >> this as being helpful to Linux users, ... >> Linux could be made easier by having installation programs actually ... be searching for the executable and its command line for invoking the IDE, ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)