Re: HOWTO - Linux Home Server (review)

From: Bruce Coryell (bcoryell_at_chesco.com)
Date: 01/05/05

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:01:49 GMT

I think this will be a great contribution. My only quibble is this:
Since FC3 is a bleeding edge distro, is it the best one for using as a
server? Also, for newbies (like me)?

Miles Brennan wrote:
> G'day All,
>
> Im currently drafting an installation guide to configure Linux as a
> networked home server gateway with all the email, www, smtp, ftp, dns,
> dhcp, squid, mySQL, samba, NFS (etc) applications documented.
>
> I have currently completed draft status for the first 19 (of 20)
> chapters and am ready for any interested parties to read/test it (there
> are some minor sections still lacking). Its a high level document, so if
> you only want the config details to get you up and running (without the
> techo stuff) then this is for you.
>
> I am using FC3 as the distro for the configs, and it does currently
> contain some FC3 specific configurations (yum, up2date, step-by-step
> install guide); mainly only chapters 3 and 7.
>
> These FC3 specific sections will eventually be moved to annexes in later
> revisions, allowing it to be a more generic document supporting further
> distros (the plan anyway).
>
> The HOWTO is currently being drafted at: http://www.brennan.id.au
>
> I appreciate any feedback/comments on the document, particularly if the
> concepts are easy to read/understand by the newer members of the community.
>

> Regards,
> Miles Brennan.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A whinge about distro version churn why are things going EOL so quickly
    ... "A whinge about distro version 'churn' why are things going EOL so ... and is currently Fedora FC3 ... Now FC3 is EOL and even fedoralegacy.org has dropped support for FC3. ... a later kernel 2.6.19.2 but found that the later stock kernels build fine ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: HOWTO - Linux Home Server (review)
    ... Miles Brennan wrote: ... > you only want the config details to get you up and running (without the ... > I am using FC3 as the distro for the configs, ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: Before I install Fedora Core 3...
    ... >stay with Fedora Core 2? ... So far I love FC3. ... I have a Shuttle Zen XPC and no distro I have tried ... I had no problems with installation, in contrast to my FC2 installation. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Installing Python 2.4
    ... In http://www.python.org/2.4/rpms.html there are RPM packages for FC3, ... distro with RPMs provided by python.org itself!) ... So, it's safe to install this, or I'd be better waiting for an official ...
    (Fedora)