Re: eth0 Not Coming Up

From: Jan Gerrit Kootstra (news_at_kootstra.org.uk)
Date: 03/22/05

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:13:25 GMT

"Jason Williard" <jason@pcsafe.com> schreef in bericht
news:JMidncIDsJU9CqLfRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
> Today I restarted my server to find that it was not responding after 5
> minutes. After some investigating, I found that networking was not
> starting up. Somehow, the /etc/sysconfig/network file had disapeared.
> This has been corrected and now the network service starts successfully
> along with the lo interface. However, I cannot seem to get eth0 to come
> up. By all accounts, it appears to be coming up.
>
> When I type 'service network restart' it shows:
> Bringing up interface etho: [ OK ]
>
> Here is my /etc/sysconfig/network file:
> ---
> HOSTNAME=hostname.domain.com
> NETWORKING=yes
> ---
>
> Here is my ifcfg-eth0 file:
> ---
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> BROADCAST=***.***.170.255
> NETWORK=***.***170.0
> NETMASK=255.255.254.0
> IPADDR=***.***.170.56
> USERCTL=no
> ---
>
> These files have not changed for several weeks. Up until now, they have
> worked, even after a restart. Can anyone think if any reason why the eth0
> interface would not come up?
>
> Thank You,
> Jason Williard
Jason,

On the server can you ping the ipaddress of the server and it's gateway?

If you can ping the server, but not the gateway then check the cables and
the NIC settings with mii-tool. NIC settings might conflict with the
settings of the switch.

Switch settings might have changed, if you do not manage them.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Relevant Pages

  • Re: eth0 Not Coming Up
    ... "Jason Williard" schreef in bericht ... > worked, even after a restart. ... On the server can you ping the ipaddress of the server and it's gateway? ... NIC settings might conflict with the ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: eth0 Not Coming Up
    ... "Jason Williard" schreef in bericht ... > worked, even after a restart. ... On the server can you ping the ipaddress of the server and it's gateway? ... NIC settings might conflict with the ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • RE: ISA 2004 REPORT FAILURE
    ... Update on Restart procedure. ... only way to start firewall was to reapply ISA 2004 SP2 ... this stopped ISA server related services ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: After upgrading 2000 server to 2003 server keeps restarting
    ... troubleshooting blue screen stop/automatically restart issues are ... applications are fully compatible with Windows Server 2003. ... and then try the upgrade to see if it works. ... It is better to contact Microsoft Product Support Services via telephone ...
  • RE: Active Directory Repair indices
    ... I know that when you restart your Windows 2003 SBS ... Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable ... In Directory Services Restore Mode, run the semantic checker on the ... Apply Predefined Security Templates in Windows Server 2003 ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)