Re: Create some kind of special dual boot

From: Margaret Wilson (twokatmew_at_nospam.msn.com)
Date: 04/02/05

Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:13:52 -0500

Hmm, I'm having a similar problem, but I know a couple ways you might
resolve yours. (I'm still working on mine.)

The simplest thing to do is to create an XP boot floppy and point it to your
XP installation. That is, if you have a floppy drive. Here's how to do it:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305595

Or, if you're willing to reinstall Fedora, you can use a boot manager to
choose which OS to start. If you're going to do it this way, create a DOS
partition at the beginning of drive 0 (what used to be C:). Use the above
instructions to create an XP "boot environment," i.e., copy ntldr,
ntdetect.com, and a boot.ini that will start your XP installation on drive
E. Once you can boot your machine and get to XP, install Fedora and tell it
to install GRUB on /hda. Here's where I'm still working on the problem.
Don't let it write to the MBR, or it will boot directly to Fedora, and
you'll be right back where you are now.

Hope this helps,

Margaret