Re: Authentication via NIS

From: Nicholas Andrade (SDNick484_at_nospam.yahoo.com)
Date: 08/06/05

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:52:29 GMT

Jamie Beverly wrote:
> Jason Williard wrote:
>

>>I have 3 Redhat Enterprise 3 systems that I would like to integrate via
>>NIS. This is my first time using NIS, but I understand it is my best
>>option when it comes to sharing authentication.
>

> Actually, LDAP is a considerably better option. NIS, is inherently insecure
> due to the simplistic nature of the protocol. LDAP is also easier to
> maintain over time.

I second that recommendation for LDAP, in fact we're migrating a number
of severs from NIS to LDAP at work.

>>Unfortunately, with no experience, I really don't know how to set this up.
>>
>>What are the basic steps to setting up a shared authentication system
>>using
>>NIS? I plan to set this up with 1 server acting as the master. With just
>>3 servers, I don't see a need for any slaves, though I could be wrong.
>>Any suggestions in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag/node130.html#SECTION0012000000
>
> would be highly valuable for setting up and maintaining NIS; in fact, the
> entire NAG is worth reading.
>
> If you're interested in information on implementing LDAP in lieu of NIS,
> just let me know, and I'll post some useful information on setting up and
> securely using LDAP for authentication and directory services.
>

> PS: My usenet server doesn't carry alt.linux.redhat.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: One login for multiple machines
    ... get authenticated from remote server (thus not need to create ... network) a centrally-stored login on a Linux server for Windows PCs ... I've excerpted some relevant info from two web pages on NIS and LDAP... ... It is for this reason that LDAP ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Centralized authentication
    ... >A few people suggested NIS+. ... Virtually all of our boxes are FreeBSD, ... >don't know very much about either server. ... >setup and get working than an LDAP server. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: NIS+ Server and LDAP Server on same machine?
    ... The LDAP directory server process does not need the ... > NIS domainname set to anything specific. ... Solaris, then configure LDAP client). ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Upgrading Directory Services.
    ... I've been using NIS and DNS since the late 80's and LDAP since 1997. ... my LDAP experience to date has only been in support of my ... practices on how to setup the Directory Server. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Directory Server LDAP/LDIF import - working yet not working???
    ... I then generated LDIF files from the /etc files on our NIS ... > 10,000-foot understanding of LDAP. ... > I already downloaded the various LDAP BluePrints and Directory Server ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)