Re: can't boot after botched RHEL 5 build

TEK wrote:
I have a dell workstation that HAD WIndows XP on it. I used RHEL 5 dvd
to install and it encountered an error which forced a reboot. I NOT
cannot boot to anything but the RHEL dvd. It ignores any other boot
disk including xp, bart, erd disk, etc. I tried fdisk /dev/hda and
removed all partitions and tried to create new dos partition but no
success. ideas?

no other boot disks will boot. The disks are good and tested to work.
TEK,

Did you do

fdisk /MBR from your WinXP install cdrom in rescue mode or from a windows boot floppy?

Your WinXP install CD does not know how to remove grub from the MBR.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit

  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 56, Issue 402
    ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ... openoffice3..deb and install it). ... thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk. ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Windows Xp crash
    ... Message came up "Disk Boot failure.: ... indicated that all drives had no disk inserted. ... I tried about a week ago to install Windows 7 on the second hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Boot Problem
    ... Was either disk set up as a Microsoft dynamic disk? ... Do not change the boot sector signature. ... I ensure all OK by swapping over drives. ... installing XP as it insisted there was no drive to install itself on! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: XP HOME BOOT FAILURE
    ... Boot the system, start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select ... download install and run the application: ... A repair install should bypass that but it will ... >> on, follow the screens. ...
  • Re: Dual Boot; worried about overwriting C: Boot Drive with Win2k
    ... > replacement, I decided to install that as a slave drive, but I have not ... I also want to dual boot, ... DO NOT install the Linux boot loader on ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)