GRUB bootloader and adding new hardrive(s)

From: Nitroushhh (nitroushhh.nospam_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 07/06/03

Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 13:47:05 GMT

I have a SuSE 8.2 system with 2 ide harddrives (with windows partitions)
and a scsi hdrive with all my linux partitions. hd0,hd1 and hd2 in that
order in grubspeak.

if I add a third ide drive then grub fails. I expect that this is because
grub expects to find info it needs on the 3rd device (the scsi) and after
i add the extra ide drive the scsi becomes the 4th.

I saw a suggestion on google.groups to have a linux partition on the
first hdrive so grub would always find its info (as long as that drive is
healthy) but i was hoping for a less drastic solution.

if grub started counting scsi first followed by ide, this would solve
my problem.

Is it possible ???

Can the grub config be stored in my existing windows partition ???

I tried changing the device mapping but it didn't help.

Another complication is that the new drive is in a removable caddy so it
won't always be there when the machine boots.

Any ideas ??? Can someone give me a hint and somewhere to look ???

nitroushhh

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Fedora Core 2/Windows XP dual boot: selecting Linux doesnt work
    ... >> This Maxtor 6L080M0 is an SCSI Disk Device, ... I suppose that would be hd1 to grub. ... > This points at grub's boot code area on hdc1. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: FC4 Grub install problems
    ... > linux box as scsi, ... > the grub prompt I cannot get ... > SCSI disks ... To unsubscribe: http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: FC2 -> F7 via yum
    ... working fine, except, the system was using Lilo and now uses Grub. ... the drive renaming of everything (ATA and SCSI) to sd$ ... Trever Adams ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: GRUB with IDE and SCSI disk
    ... One of my systems has an IDE disk and a SCSI disk. ... disk and I need to reinstall grub. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: unable to boot new kernel!
    ... [newly compiled kernel won't boot from grub] ... SCSI or something using SCSI emulation. ... the boot loader. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)