Re: Newbie help on partitioning.

From: veritas (verity_at_volcanomail.com)
Date: 07/20/03

Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:15:35 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:34:38 +0400, RayOfLight wrote:

> Hello i am looking forward to install suse 8.2 on my pc (A7N V266 VM,
> 256 MB DDR PC 2100 RAM, 60 GB HD - partitioned in 3 parts - 30 GB with
> Win XP pro installed on FAT 32 and 15 Gb formatted FAT 32 and last 15
> Gb not formatted and free space).
>
> i want to install linux on the free 15 GB space. But it seems suse 8.2
> cannot see it when i am trying to instal. This is what YAST is telling
> me

Hi Ray,

I'm not sure but I suspect the problem might be because the free
space is free space, not a formatted partition. People with more
 expertise and experience will no doubt offer other approaches,
but when I first installed SuSE 7.1 (my first foray into Linux),
as best I can recall, I went about it this way.

1. I started an install session off the SuSE CD and let it get to
the point where it told me what it proposed to do on the HD. I
copied down on paper what it said it needed for space and the
various partitions. I added all those up except the swap partition
and came to a total space requirement.

2. I shut down the install session.

3. I next used vcom Partition Commander to delete one unpopulated
Fat32 partition and resize-down another one, leaving me with a
free space zone big enough for SuSE 7.1 and then some. I then
formatted this free space, creating one big Linux (Ext2) partition
and one smaller Linux swap partition, of the size SuSE had
proposed.

(Partition Commander creates Linux regular and swap partitions.
The latest version even does Ext3.)

4. After a complete shutdown and restart, I again booted off the
SuSE CD and ran the installation. As I recall, the installer this
time went straight for the Linux partition and did what it needed
to do in that space, leaving my partitions for Win 98 alone.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to vcom and am reasonably sure
PartitionMagic would do the job in the same satisfactory way.
There is also a Linux partitioning utility, GNUParted, or Parted,
that is fully capable but lacks the (important to me) GUI
interface the commercial products have. For me, $50 for Partition
Commander was money well spent, but YMMV.

Hang in there until you get it. Starting with Linux is not as easy
as starting with preinstalled Windows. But once you have it going
and begin to get comfortable with its quirks and conventions, you
will be rewarded with power, flexibility, stability and
survivability well beyond anything you've experienced.

Final tip: Invest in a good book or two. I've seen that Running
Linux is highly regarded and can personally vouch for Linux In a
Nutshell and Inside Linux.

Good luck,

--
-v-

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Grub did not install on dual boot machine.
    ... why did you "install" Linux on a FAT16 partition. ... See below re: grub. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: dual boot with xp on same drive
    ... >>i would like to install linux (i have downloaded fedora and burnt to ... >>i have partition magic to create a new partition. ... >>on partition 1 where i would like to put linux. ... Backup your Windows partitions. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Co-existing with Windows and Linux
    ... Windows XP and Linux can co-exist on the same laptop and hard drive ... one for Linux and much ... NTFS partition to give you room for Linux. ... Install XP first using the restore disk that came with your system. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Toshiba 2450-101
    ... Installing Linux on a Toshiba 2450-101 Laptop ... Hardware ... After going through the standard install process, ... FAT32 partition containing Windows XP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Re: Newbie looking for a UNIX
    ... learn to nuke / restore the "master boot record" so it goes back to ... very nice install and management ... Really lightweight, fast, equipped to run apps from Linux and all ... as the partition table is kept in the last 66 bytes of the MBR. ...
    (comp.os.linux)