Re: Apache server

From: Philip Miller (help_at_rejuvenating.com)
Date: 09/15/03

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:34:21 -0700

Randall,

Thanks. As I have said to others, seems like I am really stupid, but I
admit to being rather new to Linux. The browser is a *local* browser. I am
trying to talk to my own machine, not one on the network.

I added all these lines in console mode and at the root level. No response!
the command are not even recognized by my system.

I can assure myself that I am using a store-bought version 8.1 version
Professional with *everything* installed.

Why doesn't SuSe offer a version 1.3 Apache.rpm instead of the 2.0 which
even they suggest not to use?

Then I cannot install PHP until he Apache is installed.

Phil

www.antiaging.com
www.antiagingow.ocm

"Randell D." <you.can.email.me.at.randelld@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Philip Miller" <help@rejuvenating.com> wrote in message
> > I am new to Linux. So assume nothing.
> >
> > Is apache server already installed with the normal SuSe Linux 8.1
install?
> > Because it does not seem that I have any server. I enter
http://localhost
> > in my browser and nothing happens. And I don't see any directory where
> > Apache is loaded. I can ping it from the rest of my network.
> >
> > So if I decide to install it from SuSe direct (Apache 2.0) or from
Apache
> > direct on a Pentium class machine (i486) what are the exact steps that I
> > take? If these are line codes are they from the konsole? Again assume
> > nothing.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phil
>
> When you enter http://localhost in your browser - Where is the browser?
Is
> it running on your SuSE linux box, or do you have a small network and
you're
> attempting to connect to Apache from another machine? "localhost" means
> "self" thus if you are on another machine and ask for localhost, it won't
> see your Apache server.
>
> Secondly - you can check to see if its running via the following
>
> # ps -ef | grep http
>
> If you get three or more lines in the output (perhaps something like
> httpd -f /etc/httpd/httpd.conf or something) then its like that it is
> running.
>
> An alternative method is to use rpm to check
>
> # rpm --query --all > /tmp/tmpfile
> # grep -i apache /tmp/tmpfile
>
> If you get a result there, it means you have a version of apache installed
> (but perhaps not configured).
>
> If it is installed, you can start/stop it using
>
> # rcapache start
>
> or
>
> # rcapache stop
>
> and sometimes you can test the status with
>
> # rcapache status
>
> Lastly - if you want to install it I strongly suggest you read the
> documentation - Its not that difficult but at the same time don't think
> you'll have a web server up and running in minutes if you don't have basic
> unix/linux skills like using tar or vi... You should learn how to walk
> before crawling...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Not quite happy with Ubuntu... What should I try now? (long response)
    ... First, and this may be true of Linux in general, I don't like the file ... you can install utilities from the repositories that require ... you're going to use the basic tools on Windows and looking to just replace Windows, I can share my experience below. ... I mostly use Gnome Commander as a file browser. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • mod_python apache configuration issues
    ... It's a Mandrake 10 linux box, and apache/mod_python are installed from rpms. ... The apache config files contained the following before my modifications: ... I get a popup from the browser because it doesn't know how to handle ... open it in a text editor I'd see the entire mptest.py script. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Red Hat Linux wouldnt boot up after a day.
    ... I am new to Linux but somehow managed to install and get Apache and ... vsFTP to work on Linux 8. ... shutting down and wouldn't again boot up. ... apache run with digest authentication. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: winpc to linuxpc
    ... > I heard that most cable companies block port 80 so that people can't run ... to install a dyndns service unless you have got a static ip. ... also telling apache to use that one (or use the ... apache on the linux box. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: php failing to produce phpinfo()
    ... my browser started acting funny. ... I can do php -i, which displays several pages of PHP code. ... I used "pkg_add -r" to install apache and mysql. ...
    (freebsd-questions)