SuSE 9.0 upgrade problem, kde do not start anymore

joachim.j.gloger_at_daimlerchrysler.com
Date: 11/25/03

Date: 25 Nov 2003 09:17:27 GMT

I ran an upgrade from SuSE 8.2 to SuSE 9.0. First the wireless pcmcia card
was detected by the system, but nevertheless it did not work. I tried a
manual modification of the /etc/sysconfig/network/wireless file and
afterwards it worked. But now I cannot login to KDE anymore. The splash
panel at the beginning appears, but when it comes to the point "looking
for attached devices" (I don't know whether this is the right translation,
since I use a German version), it takes some time then the panel
disappears and the only thing which is to see is the background image.
Nothing else.

When I look to /var/log/messages I get an error message of the kind: kdm:
The X server died unexpectedly.

It does not matter whether I login as root or as a standard user. I even
tried to create a new user, but the behavior is the same.

In the file .xsession-error of the user root I can find some DCOP-Server
fatal error messages.

I have no idea what's going wrong. Any help is welcome.

Joachim

Relevant Pages

  • Re: PNIG: PR/Suse enthusiasts ..
    ... Odd thing with Suse 10 just occurred ... ... There are no error messages when attempting login, it just kicks back to the ... dass ich ihn für uns finden muss ... Auf 'ner Strasse im Regen, auf 'nem Berg nah beim Mond ...
    (alt.2600)
  • My first (and last) attempt using suse
    ... A few days ago I bought SUSE Professional 9.1 at CompUSA. ... from Redhat and then install SUSE 9.1). ... password so I can login to the portal. ... hours on a distribution I am beginning to have serious doubts about. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] How about users "desupporting" Suse 9.3 and later.
    ... >the Suse Lizard on it. ... >problem that it is the TWM login screen. ... fix it. ... solve my reboot hanging pretty soon, I might go back to Mandrake myself. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] How about users "desupporting" Suse 9.3 and later.
    ... the Suse Lizard on it. ... problem that it is the TWM login screen. ... > distro and condemning it without informing the list ... Discover Yahoo! ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Anmeldeproblem
    ... >> Anmeldegui von SuSE 9.1 einen dunklen Schirm ... >> linux login: ... >> dann linux password: ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)