Re: Easy File Permissions

From: Michael Gerbasio (mwgerbasio_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/29/03

Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:08:15 GMT

Thanks for all the help.

Here's what I did: installed and created the user root. Installation asked
me to create another user which I did, "myuser" and installation created the
"user" group. Seems pretty standard, root in the root group and myuser in
the user group.

I'm logged in as myuser and I can open and modify the files in
/etc/samba/smb.conf. The setting on the file is rw-r--r-- and the setting
on the directory is rwxr-xr-x owned by root and part of the root group, so
I'm confused as to why I can edit the file logged in as myuser. If I take a
file owned my myuser and copy it to the samba directory, the owner and group
change to root. I was reading about SETUID/GID so that might apply here but
I haven't even went that far yet since I wasn't expecting to be able to
write in that directory.

The concept, which I've probably read 1000 times, seems so simple but I'm
just not seeing it happen on the PC. I was think maybe the Easy setting had
something to do with it or maybe suse is using acl which I know nothing
about. From my reading it looks like that is something particular to suse.

Regards-Michael G.