Re: Error message at startup: eth0 (DHCP) failed

From: Oliver Meike (Oliver.Meike_at_post.rwth-aachen.de)
Date: 11/30/03

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:08:44 +0100

Thank you very much, Sam! Everything is working fine now!!
Thanks,
Oliver.

"Sam" <noSpam@noSpam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Oliver
>
> This may be related to your problem.
>
> I replaced my DLink router with a Netgear ADSL modem / router. The latter
> did not work with the default SUSE 9.0 setup of DHCP. I find the Netgear
> lacking in some settings that the DLink had especilly with regard to DHCP.
>
> One specifically related to my problem is DHCP Lease Time which the
Netgear
> does not cater for.
>
> The default SUSE DHCP setup asks the router to set or query the default
DHCP
> Client Lease Time. The Netgear does not seem to respond in the way that
SUSE
> requires so it it fails the setup.
>
> To solve this I did the following (as root)
>
> 1. Open Control Center
>
> 2. Select YAST2 modules
>
> 3. Select System
>
> 4. Select Editor for /etc/sysconfig files
>
> 5. Select Network
>
> 6. Select DHCP
>
> 7. Select DHCP Client
>
> 8. Select DHCPCLIENT_LEASE_TIME
>
> 9. In the edit box to the right enter 604800. This is a value in seconds,
> the one I use.
>
> 10. Finish, close etc.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Sam
>
> "Oliver Meike" <Oliver.Meike@post.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message
> > Hi everybody,
> > I am retrieving this error message, but I can connect to the internet
> > through a Netgear router. I had this error message with Suse 8.2 and
9.0.
> > First I used my onboard ethernet card (motherboard: MSI K7N2 Delta) and
> then
> > I bought a PCI card (Realtek RTL8139). I got the error message every
time
> on
> > startup. Actually I could be happy, because I have a connection to the
> > internet. But I am new to Linux and I would like to understand the whole
> > "apparatus". Furthermore when I restart the network with "rcnetwork
> restart"
> > I get this error message. But when I check the status with "rcnetwork
> > status" everything is fine and I get the message "eth0 (DHCP): running"
> > would be glad about any help and understanding....
> > Thanx,
> > Oliver.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Error message at startup: eth0 (DHCP) failed
    ... > I replaced my DLink router with a Netgear ADSL modem / router. ... > lacking in some settings that the DLink had especilly with regard to DHCP. ... >> Oliver. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Error message at startup: eth0 (DHCP) failed
    ... I replaced my DLink router with a Netgear ADSL modem / router. ... lacking in some settings that the DLink had especilly with regard to DHCP. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Error message at startup: eth0 (DHCP) failed
    ... I replaced my DLink router with a Netgear ADSL modem / router. ... lacking in some settings that the DLink had especilly with regard to DHCP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • help
    ... Network, routers, DHCP and PXE ... wget vs fetch ... It's a Thomson SpeedTouch 585 router. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Networking Question - VLANs on SBS 2003 Premium SP1
    ... DHCP running on the router. ... Set the DHCP on the router, to make a exclusion of IP range. ... you can set the SBS use fix IP by run the CEICW. ... all gust wireless clients will get IP address from DHCP on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)