Re: Why is Linux so slow?

From: Sinister Midget (sm_at_sm.biz)
Date: 01/17/04

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:54:33 GMT

On 2004-01-17, Gilbert <gilbert_quackenbusch@yahoo.com> blubbered:
> I've just installed SUSE 9.0 Linux on my P4 based system with 1
> gigabyte of memory and it seems to really run slow.
> I took a default install and I am using kde.
> I also notice that sound skips terribly when playing any video using
> kaffine which appears to be a wrapper for mplayer.
> Also why does it take so long to display a directory of a couple of
> thousand files?
> With WinXP this takes a second or two but with Linux it can take up to
> 15 seconds or more.
> One last thing is that I am finding networking to be very slow with
> Linux.
> Transferring files from Windows machines to Linux and back seems to
> take forever.
> I have an Asus P4P800 board with 1 gig of memory of it matters.

My sympathies. The Windoze group, where they can solve all of your
problems, is that way --------------------->

Ask for Gagwadd and Kaiser Snorze when you get there.

--
MS could solve all their problems tomorrow regarding security and
stability and I wouldn't use them more than I have to now because for

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Are there advantages of Linux over XP Pro.?
    ... Excuse my ignorance but what does KDE mean? ... dual-boot 98SE/XP PRO machine for a copy of Linux. ... small file server with RAID and Backup storage with the easy addition of ... The Mandrake 10.1 install was also painless, but the GUI would not run. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Newbie needs help with SUSE 9.1
    ... I think there is a setting in KDE Control Center somewhere that let's ... frustrating because there are some really nice features in Linux. ... I thought I'd install some tools that I ... serving Windows boxes from your Linux box. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Why is Linux so slow?
    ... > I chose a kde system because from what I have read Suse seems to favor ... > Displaying graphics seems to be a problem for Linux because it is very ... No problems, install went smoothly, auto configured all the network settings ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Are there advantages of Linux over XP Pro.?
    ... I would be interesting in creating a seperate partition on my ... migration and experimentation with Linux. ... KDE was much faster than ... the SUSE install, and the services and apps responded quickly. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Re: Newbie needs help with SUSE 9.1
    ... I thought I'd install some tools that I ... >serving Windows boxes from your Linux box. ... >> installed, I need to know kernel info, KDE vs GNU, etc. ... My experience with Windows has taught me never to try ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)