Re: disable SMTP on SuSE 9.0

From: Ermanno Bonifazi (
Date: 02/03/04

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:08:20 GMT

Ermanno Bonifazi wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>> Niels Kerkhof wrote:
>>> How can I disable SMTP service on SuSE 9.0? I am setting up a Lotus
>>> Domino enterprise messaging server and it has its own SMTP service, so
>>> sendmail must be disabled.
>>> I could find an article in the SuSE knowledge base and it tells me this:
>>> Edit the file /etc/rc.config. Set the variable SMTP to "no".
>>> However the file rc.config does not exist in SuSE 9.0, maybe they have
>>> changed this since previous versions.
>>> I also searched with the yast runlevel editor tool, but could not find a
>>> service relating to sendmail or SMTP...
>>> Anyone knows how to tackle this one?
>>> Greetz,
>>> Niels.
>> Just delete whatever MTA package you have installed, such as Sendmail or
>> Postfix. Or you can use the runlevel editor in YaST, and disable the
>> service there.
> I would like to use my PC only as client of email system (server is on the
> network). May I disable the service too?

Thanks to all.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] Yast Mail Tranfer Agent doesnt update relayhost in of Postfix
    ... I'm using openSuse 11 and I use sendmail as the transport agent of my e-mail ... I had to copy all Postfix ... are you using Sendmail or Postfix? ... Yast and it did write a new name in ...
  • Re: [opensuse] Sendmail dont open port 25 ...
    ... However, when it comes to ease of MTA config in suse, I think postfix ... sendmail, or does a sendmail install require some googling and config ... I should think that Yast handles them both fine. ...
  • Re: starting sendmail at boottime on SuSE 9.3
    ... > starting at boottime? ... If you have added it with Yast, ... Just sending mail with postfix works just fine. ... that you can handle the sendmail config files. ...
  • Re: problem with fetchmail
    ... If it's not installed, install it and set it up ... > in YaST. ... but only sendmail was mentiond during the dialog. ... and can be started (runlevel editor gave back a possitive message). ...
  • Re: sendmail vs. postfix question
    ... > Sendmail is a large, monolithic, complicated program that runs as ... > Sendmail configuration is complicated and arcane -- it is the ... > Postfix has a different architecture, ...