Re: disable SMTP on SuSE 9.0

From: Ermanno Bonifazi (ermannobonifazi_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 02/03/04

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:08:20 GMT

Ermanno Bonifazi wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
>> Niels Kerkhof wrote:
>>
>>> How can I disable SMTP service on SuSE 9.0? I am setting up a Lotus
>>> Domino enterprise messaging server and it has its own SMTP service, so
>>> sendmail must be disabled.
>>>
>>> I could find an article in the SuSE knowledge base and it tells me this:
>>> Edit the file /etc/rc.config. Set the variable SMTP to "no".
>>>
>>> However the file rc.config does not exist in SuSE 9.0, maybe they have
>>> changed this since previous versions.
>>>
>>> I also searched with the yast runlevel editor tool, but could not find a
>>> service relating to sendmail or SMTP...
>>>
>>> Anyone knows how to tackle this one?
>>>
>>> Greetz,
>>>
>>> Niels.
>> Just delete whatever MTA package you have installed, such as Sendmail or
>> Postfix. Or you can use the runlevel editor in YaST, and disable the
>> service there.
>
> I would like to use my PC only as client of email system (server is on the
> network). May I disable the service too?

Thanks to all.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] Yast Mail Tranfer Agent doesnt update relayhost in main.cf of Postfix
    ... I'm using openSuse 11 and I use sendmail as the transport agent of my e-mail ... I had to copy all Postfix ... are you using Sendmail or Postfix? ... Yast and it did write a new name in main.cf. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Sendmail dont open port 25 ...
    ... However, when it comes to ease of MTA config in suse, I think postfix ... sendmail, or does a sendmail install require some googling and config ... I should think that Yast handles them both fine. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: starting sendmail at boottime on SuSE 9.3
    ... > starting at boottime? ... If you have added it with Yast, ... Just sending mail with postfix works just fine. ... that you can handle the sendmail config files. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: problem with fetchmail
    ... If it's not installed, install it and set it up ... > in YaST. ... but only sendmail was mentiond during the dialog. ... and can be started (runlevel editor gave back a possitive message). ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: sendmail vs. postfix question
    ... > Sendmail is a large, monolithic, complicated program that runs as ... > Sendmail configuration is complicated and arcane -- it is the ... > Postfix has a different architecture, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)