Re: Install SUSE over another Linux

From: R S Prigan (rprigan_at_insight.rr.com)
Date: 02/08/04

Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 01:04:41 GMT

Bill wrote:

> I am thinking of installing SUSE linux the next time I upgrade. What is
> the procedure for doing this. I want to preserve my current LILO start,
> and of course keep all my programs. I would be upgrading from KDE 2.x and
> don't want all my preferences blown away when I upgrade. Any tips or
> advice.
>
> Also, any clue when the 2.6 kernel will be available with SUSE?
>
> Thanx.

kde 2 is ancient by now. there are much better programs in latest distros/

best to backup data somewhere, and then reincorporate bits you want - e.g.
burn a CD with your /etc /root /home

then do a custom install (for packages). take your time and pick all the
programs you want (or their successors) ... or even just install everything
if that is your choice.

RSP