Re: Install SUSE over another Linux

From: R S Prigan (rprigan_at_insight.rr.com)
Date: 02/08/04

Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 01:04:41 GMT

Bill wrote:

> I am thinking of installing SUSE linux the next time I upgrade. What is
> the procedure for doing this. I want to preserve my current LILO start,
> and of course keep all my programs. I would be upgrading from KDE 2.x and
> don't want all my preferences blown away when I upgrade. Any tips or
> advice.
>
> Also, any clue when the 2.6 kernel will be available with SUSE?
>
> Thanx.

kde 2 is ancient by now. there are much better programs in latest distros/

best to backup data somewhere, and then reincorporate bits you want - e.g.
burn a CD with your /etc /root /home

then do a custom install (for packages). take your time and pick all the
programs you want (or their successors) ... or even just install everything
if that is your choice.

RSP

Relevant Pages

  • [kde-linux] Re: help, kde 4.6 desktop very very slow
    ... The weird thing is that on another account I made just to test, kde runs ... perhaps some config file from another version. ... Just upgrading from an old kde-3.5.x installation could yield far ... the idea behind bisecting is that once you have a known problem ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde-linux] Re: help, kde 4.6 desktop very very slow
    ... I've just upgraded to opensuse 11.4, which came with kde 4.6 ... perhaps some config file from another version. ... Just upgrading from an old kde-3.5.x installation could yield far ... the idea behind bisecting is that once you have a known problem ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde] Re: Another case of WONTFIX
    ... have a minor but seriously irritating regression with it (as compared to ... At every plasma-desktop restart (whether a reboot, a kde restart, or only ... there's definitely some sort of plasma bug here in 4.6.2. ... announcement, to see if there's anything worth upgrading for, before I ...
    (KDE)
  • RE: [SLE] Desktop Problems after upgrading to KDE 3.1.3
    ... I followed the latest "how-to" post for upgrading. ... aAll the files into a directory, changed installation source, and ... I logged out of KDE and restarted it. ... What I finally did was use Yast2 to completely uninstall KDE. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [kde] Re: Another case of WONTFIX
    ... I haven't built kde from scratch in yonks, ... I'm considering going back to 4.6.0, as rid of the hal dependency of 4.5 ... there's definitely some sort of plasma bug here in 4.6.2. ... for those upgrading from earlier versions ...
    (KDE)