Re: Linux has a long way to go before it becomes the major OS

From: Casper H.S. Dik (Casper.Dik_at_Sun.COM)
Date: 02/08/04

Date: 08 Feb 2004 19:38:40 GMT

Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> writes:

>In article <40265171$0$82225$a0465688@nnrp.fuse.net>, Ruel Smith (Big Daddy) wrote:

>>> Automatic transmissions of that type use fluid coupling in place of a
>>> clutch, they still shift mechanical gear trains.
>>
>> Not CVT...

>Have any CVTs made it into production automobiles?

Yes; the inventors (Van Doorne's Autombiel Fabriek aka DAF) produced
a variety of small cars using CVTs; quirky feature: they can go as fast
forward as in reverse. The truck company DAF still exists, the
cars were sold off to Volvo which continued to produce the Volvo 340
[supposed to be designed as the DAF 77] and the Volvo 66 (previously
known as the DAF66). They started CVT based car production in 1959
and Volvo continued it to well into the 1990's.

Casper

--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux has a long way to go before it becomes the major OS
    ... the inventors (Van Doorne's Autombiel Fabriek aka DAF) produced ... a variety of small cars using CVTs; quirky feature: ... cars were sold off to Volvo which continued to produce the Volvo 340 ... They started CVT based car production in 1959 ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • Re: Linux has a long way to go before it becomes the major OS
    ... the inventors (Van Doorne's Autombiel Fabriek aka DAF) produced ... a variety of small cars using CVTs; quirky feature: ... cars were sold off to Volvo which continued to produce the Volvo 340 ... They started CVT based car production in 1959 ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Linux has a long way to go before it becomes the major OS
    ... the inventors (Van Doorne's Autombiel Fabriek aka DAF) produced ... a variety of small cars using CVTs; quirky feature: ... cars were sold off to Volvo which continued to produce the Volvo 340 ... They started CVT based car production in 1959 ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Linux has a long way to go before it becomes the major OS
    ... the inventors (Van Doorne's Autombiel Fabriek aka DAF) produced ... a variety of small cars using CVTs; quirky feature: ... cars were sold off to Volvo which continued to produce the Volvo 340 ... They started CVT based car production in 1959 ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Run away cars
    ... not letting the transmission shift into neutral to protect the engine ... B - some of the people driving the runaway cars have claimed they ... C - Toyota has said at least on the Lexus that they can be shifted ... Actually more vehicles use the CVT. ...
    (alt.home.repair)