Re: nvidia driver problem on suse 9

From: JPB (jpb_at_email.pt)
Date: 02/22/04

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:04:23 +1000

Chris Widmer wrote:
> hi,
>
> i've just installed the newest version of the nvidia driver (1.0-5332)
> for my Geforce 4 ti4400.
>
> i went to runlevel 3, executed the shell script (after i've installed
> and updated the kernel source) and went through the installation fine.
>
> when i tried to run sax -m 0=nvidia the screen turns black and stays
> that way. i can run this command using kde, though.
>
> my XF86Config tells me that the right driver is installed (see below):
>
> i don't have 3d Acceleration though. Games run really crappy and with
> gfxgears i get like 5fps, where i usually get 300. how can i activate
> opengl support (it won't let me activate it in sax2).
>
> 3Ddiag gives me a false for nvidia (verifying driver installation) (see
> below):
>
> please help!

<....>

I had exactly the same problem (same video card, SuSE 9.0 Pro) after I
was forced to rebuild my hard drive post a power failure. I went and
downloaded the latest Nvidia driver, which installed without problems -
but produced black screens intermittently on logout from a GUI (be it
KDE or Gnome).

As I had previously run the Nvidia driver with no hassle, I then
uninstalled it and installed version 4496 instead - the one I had
usedbefore. Since then, I have not had a problem, and the 3D
acceleration works fine also (no Sax2 misleading messages about needing
Nvidia drivers).

JPB

Relevant Pages

  • Re: kmod-nvidia not working in kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5
    ... I checked if kmod-nvidia is really installed or not through rpm ... what you should be paying attention to is the installation ... until I finally wised up and eliminated the nvidia driver from ...
    (Fedora)
  • Fully detailed directions for nVidia driver installation
    ... Download the latest nVidia driver here: ... have rather simplistic directions and a link to download the driver. ... Login as root and 'cd' to the directory you saved ... you'll never have to reboot for the installation. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: It isnt what RHL 5.2 was
    ... I had initial problems with NICs (the onboard 3M gigabit circuitry as ... (I interuppted the installation after the RPMs were installed ... some people are describing are due to X, the NVidia driver, motherboard chips, ... for ``big'' packages, and a lot more packages are supported than used to be. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: SUSE 8.2/Windows 98 Booting Problem
    ... download the nVidia driver installation ... Kevin Nathan ... The command line is the front line. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Greetings / Newbie questions
    ... I am having a bit of trouble deciding which to use: Gnome or KDE. ... - Running Totem as Root (I've found that lots of things need to be done ... I have Installed Unreal Tournament 2004 for Linux. ... these current versions to be excellent in terms of ease of installation and ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)