Re: SUSE 9 and KDE3.2 from SUse (share your experience)

Fr_at_nk
Date: 02/23/04

    Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:03:29 +0100

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:27:22 +0100, Edwin van Woerkens wrote:

    > Ermanno Bonifazi schreef het volgende op 22-2-2004 11:58:
    >
    >> Anyone have installed KDE from official suse web site and will share his
    >> experience, sensations, problems?
    >
    > I had no problems after the upgrade. I followed the instructions from
    > "pdiddy" and everything went smoothly. I had to uninstall about two
    > packages from SuSE to solve problems with dependencies. After the
    > upgrade to 3.2 I lost SuSEWatcher for automatic updates.
    >

    > "First download, the kdebase3-3.2.0-7.i586.rpm rpm. Place this in a
    > temporary
    > directory that you have access rights to. You will need to run this rpm
    > AFTER the install. For saftey sakes, I would recommend downloading the
    > kdebase3-kdm-3.2.0-7.i586.rom as well. Place it in the same temp folder
    > that you have access to. You will need the first, and possibly the second.
    >

    > Launch Yast 2 as root, or you will need the root password once you launch
    > it.
    >

    > Under Software, Choose the "Change Source of Installation". Click "ADD" and
    > choose "FTP".
    >
    > For the "Server Name" type in ftp.gwdg.de
    > For the "Directory on Server" type in:
    > pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.0/yast-source
    >
    > For "Authentication" select the checkbox Anonymous.
    >
    > Click "OK".
    >
    > Make sure that both your default installation src (Suse Linux Version 9.0
    > URL dvd:///;devices=/dev/..." Status is On. If the status is not ON, enable
    > it by clicking the "Enable" button. Make sure you new Name (ie
    > supplementary KDE 3.2 update) "Status" is also on. If it is not, highlight
    > it and click the "Enable" button.

    > Software". Make sure that your Suse Source DVD or CD-ROM is installed in
    > your CD-ROM/DVD.
    >
    > From the "Filter" Drop Down List Box Choose "Selections". Find the KDE
    > Desktop Environment section on the left hand side of the Wizard. Right
    > click it and select "All in this List" and select the Sub-menu "Update if
    > newer version available".
    >
    > Go to the "All of KDE" section. Right click on it and choose the "All in
    > this list" option. Select the sub-menu, "Update if newer version available"
    > again, as per above.
    >
    > If you are using KDE development environment, find the "KDE Development"
    > Section". Right click and select "All in this list." Select the sub-menu
    > item, "Update if newer version available." Click "Accept".
    >
    > You will go through several screens probably, listing dependency problems.
    > Try and correct these by either selecting to remove the offending packages
    > or select update these as well. Click and handle these listed dependecy
    > problems until the dependency issues are solved. DO NOT CHOOSE TO IGNORE
    > ALL OF THEM... When the dependency issues are dealt with, The FTP update
    > will then run.
    >
    > When the update has completed, reboot Suse Linux and use the "Failsafe
> [...]

    I've tried the suggested update, but after upgrading
    Yast does not work anymore and YOU is gone.
    As I'm evaluating Suse 9.0 I just did a fresh install
    of Suse to get it functioning like prior to the KDE 3.2
    upgrade.

    --
    Fr@nk

    • Re: Where are the SuSE 9.2 Professional CD ISOs?
      ... Because of dependencies among packages, it's often not practical to upgrade package versions in a particular version of Suse. ... I'm not ready yet to do a fresh install on my sole PC at home which I actually *use* productively on a daily basis. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Why I dumped Linux and Went Back to Windows.
      ... >> my brief stint with SuSE, Mandrake wouldn't install properly, Lycoris ... It won't stop displaying my KDE ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Should I dump Suse?
      ... and use KDE or Gnome only if absolutely required. ... My first step with any SuSE install since 6.4 is dump KDE default as user ... I just installed SuSE 9.1 on a couple of testbed desktops. ... add it easily to the X-session menu on the X login manager. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: [opensuse] opensuse 11.1 KDE4 questions?
      ... to KDE 4, ... bothered me about kde4 and suse 11.1 in general: ... The task bar documentation says that there is a task list but there ... during the install it failed to write the boot loader. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: updating SuSE 8.1 --> 10
      ... You can install suse 10 using the text mode install and then worry about X. ... If simply changing the name of the config file and using it to replace the ... I've found before that if you upgrade, it's best to only perform the upgrade ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)