Re: SuSE 9 is bugware?

From: anc (anc_at_comcast.net)
Date: 03/11/04

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:21:31 +0000

Stig Mogensen wrote:

> Am I the only one, experiencing problems, after running the kernel and
> Xfree update, through YOU ??
>
> After upgrading, and following the procedures as described by SuSE,
> following has been lost on my system;
>
> Sound
> CUPS printing through Konqueror
> 3D support
> OpenGL support
>
> SuSEs "online support", cannot assist me in installing the nVidia driver,
> as it is third party. Now they wont help me in finding out why sound
> suddenly doesn't work anymore.....as far as I see it, SuSE broke my OS,
> and now leave me to clean up their mess.
>
> Time to try out Fedora1 perhaps?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Stig

Regarding the sound problem what sound card make and model are you using?
Are you using alsa or oss and what kernel modules are loaded?
You may need to monitor /var/log/messages then use rcalsasound stop then
rcalsasound start to reveal some clue about what has happened to your sound
 ( that is if alsa is being used).

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Quake I and SuSE Linux.
    ... > Quake I, III Arena, Return to Castle Wolfenstein). ... > SuSE 9.2 box with an NVidia graphicscard. ... that refuses to run because they think that there is no sound driver. ... The problem is that SuSE is compiled with Alsa in mind. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Day 2 with Suse.
    ... I couldn't even get a sound with ALSA. ... is that I can't get SUSE on the internet by connecting the ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... > audio which is not supported by linux. ... >> The very first thing I noticed was that there was NO SOUND even though ... >>started over with SuSE. ... So much for installing right out of the box on ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] Cautionary Tales: lm_sensors for beginners
    ... really high tech and start using lm_sensors on SUSE 10.1. ... Took a while to pinpoint the sound as coming from the rheostat on the ... control knob gets rid of the noise. ... I've always found the lm_sensors stuff a bit hit and miss for detecting and setting things properly, like putting odd values in for alarm conditions. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Surround sound in SuSE 9.3
    ... >>I know 9.3 is somewhat crippled in terms of multimedia playback, ... >>5.1 channel sound crippled in the SuSE 9.3 version of alsa? ... alsa I get silence, when it uses arts I get only stereo sound. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)