Re: Did you REALLY give up Windows?

From: Walkaway Renouf (walkaway_at_anon.com)
Date: 03/24/04

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:01:31 +0100

Nonny Moose wrote:
> I mean mainly the home users (I know that leaves one
> hell of a lot of Linux users out). I'm wondering
> how many have honestly left Microsoft products, in
> particular their oopserating systems, but also
> their other software, behind entirely.
[snip]

My 'daily driver' machine is Linux-only. It used to be dual-boot, but I
erased Windows a while back now. I don't even run any Windows apps on
it, though I have Crossover Office installed just in case I ever need
any of those old Filemaker files (haven't so far) and to mess about with
Photoshop.

My second machine runs WinXP. This machine is used for digital
photography (I'm a freelance writer and photographer), and Linux isn't
yet capable of doing this job. However, I'm now thinking seriously of
getting a new Mac, which handles images better than Windows anyway.

The final sticking point is my accounts software, which is available
only on Windows and for which there are no equivalents on other
platforms. I'm going to try running that under Crossover Office when I
get the time. Given how business-critical it is to me, I'll have to run
it in parallel on both WinXP and Linux for a while to ensure I don't
lose any functionality (such as emailing accounts to my accountant &
Association Agréée). When all that's happening, I'll be Windows free and
glad of it. After using Linux for a while, Windows feels like a toy.