Re: Did you REALLY give up Windows?

From: Walkaway Renouf (walkaway_at_anon.com)
Date: 03/24/04

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:01:31 +0100

Nonny Moose wrote:
> I mean mainly the home users (I know that leaves one
> hell of a lot of Linux users out). I'm wondering
> how many have honestly left Microsoft products, in
> particular their oopserating systems, but also
> their other software, behind entirely.
[snip]

My 'daily driver' machine is Linux-only. It used to be dual-boot, but I
erased Windows a while back now. I don't even run any Windows apps on
it, though I have Crossover Office installed just in case I ever need
any of those old Filemaker files (haven't so far) and to mess about with
Photoshop.

My second machine runs WinXP. This machine is used for digital
photography (I'm a freelance writer and photographer), and Linux isn't
yet capable of doing this job. However, I'm now thinking seriously of
getting a new Mac, which handles images better than Windows anyway.

The final sticking point is my accounts software, which is available
only on Windows and for which there are no equivalents on other
platforms. I'm going to try running that under Crossover Office when I
get the time. Given how business-critical it is to me, I'll have to run
it in parallel on both WinXP and Linux for a while to ensure I don't
lose any functionality (such as emailing accounts to my accountant &
Association Agréée). When all that's happening, I'll be Windows free and
glad of it. After using Linux for a while, Windows feels like a toy.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Re : Re: Deploring *nix Philosophy ( Was Re : Splitting archives across floppies )
    ... >> a computer professional) can install it,configure it and maintain it ... >> this is ensured, hardware makers will come to Linux with support, You ... But as we have seen in the past, networked Windows ... How many home users throw their hands up ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... working knowledge of Indian programmers DNA, nor of their intuitive Java ... > So Longhorn is not an experiment and Linux is an experiment? ... another chapter in the Windows story, and the Microsoft marketing machine is ... > application opens, Check the about, it says Microsoft Visual Basic 6.3. ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • FTP DOWNLOAD! More than 6500 CRACKED SOFTWARE(CAD,CAE,CAM,ED
    ... Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2005 ... DASSAULT SYSTEMES CAA ENOVIA LCA V5R13 ... ALTAIR.OPTISTRUCT V5.1 for LINUX ... ANSYS V8.0 FOR WINDOWS ...
  • Linux for Senior Citizens
    ... Linux for Senior Citizens ... For such people, I believe, Windows really is a better option: ... The kernel manages all the hardware and also looks after all running ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... It's the same Linux code base. ... Microsoft Office on a Windows server, it will install and run fine, the main ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)