Re: Install Airsnort in Suse 9.0 - Airsnort & WG511 howto for Suse 9.0

From: tgilber1 (tgilber1_at_netscape.net)
Date: 04/20/04

Date: 20 Apr 2004 05:40:32 -0700

fredok4@hotmail.com (Fredok) wrote in message news:<beca9be4.0403240037.7bc7b603@posting.google.com>...
> I have problems installing AirSnort y Suse 9.0. Does anyone know a
> HowTo to install Airsnort or GTK+?.
>
> Thank's in advance.

Verify that you have the following installed on your Suse box using
Yast...rpm does not always displays the packages for me. For
example,"rpm -qa |grep gtk", only display gtk-1.2, even though I had
gtk2 and development packages installed. Suse does not have a gtk+
nor pcmcia-cs. However, the autogen.sh was able to successfully
create a configure and Makefile for the Suse 9.0 distribution in spite
of the package name variation.

autoconf
intltool
libtool
gtk-1.2
gtk-2.0 # do not know which gtk is used
glib
automake

After verifying packages are installed, cd to the airsnort directory
and run the following.

./autogen.sh;
make;

to run the airsnort program
cd $airsnort_dir/src
xhost +localhost #to be able to run X dislay when switching to super
user
su # program needs to be run a root, unless chmod u+s airsnort
./airsnort, if the directory is not in the $PATH
choose one of the drivers

On another note, to get a Netgear WG511 wireless card working on a
Dell D600. I installed the prism54 driver onto Suse 9.0

Did the following:

download files below from http://www.prism54.org

stable verison of prism54-xx.tar.gz - http://prism54.org/download/

firmware.agent (look for it, sometimes hard to find). If you get text
when downloading in browser, then right click...save as or cut and
paste into new file named firmware.agent -
http://prism54.org/~hvr/firmware.agent (location provided in readme
file)

download xxx.arm (wireless driver) - all three files at same
site...hunt for it.
- http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/firmware/

untar prism54 tar file

compile according to instruction in INSTALL and README files

copy firmware.agent to /etc/hotplug directory

mkdir -p /usr/lib/hotagent/firmware
copy xxx.arm file as described in readme to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware
(file needs to be renamed (isl3877 or isl3877.arm)...had both.

make sure the /etc/sysconfig/network PCMCIA setting is set to default,
"kernel" instead of "external".

Next step is to fix the startup scripts in the /etc/rc.d directory

remname network startup script so it starts after pcmcia script. The
wireless card needs to start before the network is initiated.
Additionally, rename the network on the stop scripts, ensuring that
the network is brought down before the pcmcia card is killed. If not,
you will have problems on reboot.

After reboot, issue an "iwconfig" command at terminal to see what and
how Suse identifies the wireless card (e.g. eth0). Since the pcmcia
card starts before the network, my card device name was eth0.
Consequently, I copied the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network/wireless
into eth0 and gave my card a static IP address. If using encryption,
copy hex information over. If using ASCII, populate "s:" before
password. After, I used Yast to populate the DNS and gateway
information for card. I did not rename my card as wireless because
iwconfig recognized card as eth0. If wireless is selected, then wlan
is name of card.

Lastly, I edited the /etc/rc.d/pcmcia file and removed network from
the line

required: should-start

The pc should beep a couple of times when pcmcia card script runs,
then light up when network runs.