Re: Boot Problems

From: cc (geezer1016_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 05/08/04

Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 17:22:00 GMT

Charles Prince wrote:
> On Sat, 08 May 2004 09:21:47 +0000, cc wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Charles;
>> I wish I was getting an error message but there is none. I dont know he
>>name of the patch. I check every few days if there are any security
>>patches. This particular patch only came out a few days ago and it said
>>it was fixing some security problems in kernel.
>

> Kernels are the one thing I never upgrade via yast but instead download
> the source and recompile.
>

>> The boot problems started a about a month ago, I was just merging the
>>mbr in Suse. It stopped working.
>

> This sounds much like a mbr problem. Try going in to windows and fixing
> the mbr by using fdisk /mbr. Then see if the system boots windows.
>
> The reason I say use windows first is because you are comfortable with it
> and it seems that you have managed to screw your linux grub installation.
>
> If it does I would then go into the linux system using the recovery/repair
> options and reinstall grub to the mbr after first thoroughly checking the
> grub settings.
>
> You can always post your grub here for us to check for you before you
> attempt the installation.
>

>> I have two 40 gig hard drives xp pro on the first and suse 9.0 on the
>>second. Athlon XP 1800.
>

> I don't use atholon's so am not sure if there are any problems with that.
>

>> Actually for the past couple of weeks I have been considering the bios
>>problem. I have been thinking about flashing the bios to see if that
>>works. I could always get another mother board if I have to. That is a
>>big job though and sometimes causes other problems, I get through them
>

> It's unlikely that if you had a working system that your bios or m/board
> are suddenly wrong.
>
> This is more probably due to patches that you have loa ded or configuration
> changes you have made.
>

>>easily on windows but I am new to linux. I am trying to phase out windows.
>

> Now statements like "I'm trying to phase out windows" will always receive
> a lot of help from us here :-)

Hi;

        I cant get into either OS at this point. I plan to disconnect my
second drive (Linux) and boot the XP cd. Then do fixboot and fixmbr to
see if xp will boot, if it does then I will be sure that the bios is OK
and that the problem is the Linux drive. Then I suppose I will have to
learn to either reinstall or repair GRUB. I will get back once I do all
of this. I appreciate the help.
        I am pretty good at windows but Linux is a whole new world for me. I
dont like the direction Microsoft is going and want to get out. I doubt
I can do this completely as I have to use Micorsoft prducts at work and
I want to stay on top of it anyway but I want it to me my secondary
operating system.
        Thanks again for the help. I will get back once I do the test I mentioned.

Charlie