Re: Boot Problems

From: cc (geezer1016_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 05/08/04

Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 17:22:00 GMT

Charles Prince wrote:
> On Sat, 08 May 2004 09:21:47 +0000, cc wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Charles;
>> I wish I was getting an error message but there is none. I dont know he
>>name of the patch. I check every few days if there are any security
>>patches. This particular patch only came out a few days ago and it said
>>it was fixing some security problems in kernel.
>

> Kernels are the one thing I never upgrade via yast but instead download
> the source and recompile.
>

>> The boot problems started a about a month ago, I was just merging the
>>mbr in Suse. It stopped working.
>

> This sounds much like a mbr problem. Try going in to windows and fixing
> the mbr by using fdisk /mbr. Then see if the system boots windows.
>
> The reason I say use windows first is because you are comfortable with it
> and it seems that you have managed to screw your linux grub installation.
>
> If it does I would then go into the linux system using the recovery/repair
> options and reinstall grub to the mbr after first thoroughly checking the
> grub settings.
>
> You can always post your grub here for us to check for you before you
> attempt the installation.
>

>> I have two 40 gig hard drives xp pro on the first and suse 9.0 on the
>>second. Athlon XP 1800.
>

> I don't use atholon's so am not sure if there are any problems with that.
>

>> Actually for the past couple of weeks I have been considering the bios
>>problem. I have been thinking about flashing the bios to see if that
>>works. I could always get another mother board if I have to. That is a
>>big job though and sometimes causes other problems, I get through them
>

> It's unlikely that if you had a working system that your bios or m/board
> are suddenly wrong.
>
> This is more probably due to patches that you have loa ded or configuration
> changes you have made.
>

>>easily on windows but I am new to linux. I am trying to phase out windows.
>

> Now statements like "I'm trying to phase out windows" will always receive
> a lot of help from us here :-)

Hi;

        I cant get into either OS at this point. I plan to disconnect my
second drive (Linux) and boot the XP cd. Then do fixboot and fixmbr to
see if xp will boot, if it does then I will be sure that the bios is OK
and that the problem is the Linux drive. Then I suppose I will have to
learn to either reinstall or repair GRUB. I will get back once I do all
of this. I appreciate the help.
        I am pretty good at windows but Linux is a whole new world for me. I
dont like the direction Microsoft is going and want to get out. I doubt
I can do this completely as I have to use Micorsoft prducts at work and
I want to stay on top of it anyway but I want it to me my secondary
operating system.
        Thanks again for the help. I will get back once I do the test I mentioned.

Charlie

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Winders problem...Can Linux help here ?
    ... I'm hoping there is a Linux solution ... Since the mobo is new and the owner just flashed it the MBR ... does not want to boot up XP as it detects a change in the hardware. ... Windows partition and format/install 10.2. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Winders problem...Can Linux help here ?
    ... I'm hoping there is a Linux solution ... Since the mobo is new and the owner just flashed it the MBR ... does not want to boot up XP as it detects a change in the hardware. ... Windows partition and format/install 10.2. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Suse 9.1 keeps corrupting MBR for Windows (need help with GRUB)
    ... Windows trashes GRUB and you can't boot into LINUX or GRUB IS SOMEHOW ... SUSE, I let it install GRUB on the MBR of this first drive. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Suse 9.1 keeps corrupting MBR for Windows (need help with GRUB)
    ... Windows trashes GRUB and you can't boot into LINUX or GRUB IS SOMEHOW ... SUSE, I let it install GRUB on the MBR of this first drive. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Fedora Core 5 Installation
    ... I think the first problem appeared when you chose not to let Grub handle the booting. ... do not forget to change "hd0" if your windows installation is not on the frist partition ... I have been using Red Hat Linux for a long while now, ...
    (Fedora)