Re: why no gcc in 9.1 personal?

From: Moritz Franosch (mail_at_Franosch.org)
Date: 05/21/04

Date: 21 May 2004 14:15:03 +0200

houghi <houghi@houghi.org.invalid> writes:

> andy wrote:
> > I don't understand why such a major part of suse such as gcc is not in
> > personal. how can software be installed with out this?
> >
> > from a previously satisfied 9.1 personal user now feeling cheated
>

> My believe is that it was never intended to be for users who want to
> install things that are not in the box. http://rpmfind.net/ will get you
> very far.

For installing third party kernel modules, e.g. drivers (but also for
Vmware), the exact version of gcc that compiled the kernel is
required. So some third party software requires gcc and therefore the
existence of a Linux distribution with a missing gcc will discourage
third party software vendors who consider to provide software for
Linux.

Moritz

--
Dipl.-Phys. Moritz Franosch