Re: newb install new samba?

From: AC (aec$news_at_candt.demon.co.uk)
Date: 06/05/04

Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:25:44 +0100

In article <c9rvio$9h3$3@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, Paul Robson <autismuk@au
tismuk.muralichucks.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>AC wrote:
>
>> I find that my 9.1 network (samba) does not seem to be working much at
>> all, and reassuringly for me as a newb ther are lots of discussions
>> about this very topic  by more experienced folk, and a new version of
>> samba seems to be now available.
>
>Have you checked the physical hardware works - can you ping the other
>machines ?
>
>Each machine has an address which is expressed in its base form as a number
>e.g. 127.0.0.1 (this is the localhost - your machine) called the IP
>Address. If you find these addresses, open a console on your machine and
>type
>
>ping 192.168.1.102
>
>it will try to contact the cards. The other thing is, are you still using
>NetBEUI on the Windows machines, not TCP/IP.
>
>I've just started experimenting with Samba on a wireless net ; my card is
>connected to a Wireless hub and I've two XP boxes with wireless cards, and
>it all worked straight out of the box.

Thanks. All IP addresses are ok, and I use tcp/ip anyway. It was easier
to give the suse machine a fixed ip initially while I was getting to
understand what samba needed, and shares - and the slightly different
terminology used in linux. Life is slightly more complicated since I run
local firewalls on the windows machines - I like to control exactly
*what* tries to get back in contact with the whole bunch of motherships
that exist for programs that are used, but now it seems samba is
working!

Interestingly, the linux machine now highlighted a problem with the
shared folders on one of the windowboxes - easy to sort out, but the
windowboxes had obscured the problem. It is feels good to get things
straight.

All may not be quite perfect yet, though, since on the workgroup a win98
box does not have a password sign-on, and although it is indicated on
the linux box, when access is attempted from the linux box, the kde
'internal' error is displayed (1), rather than a (probably) more
appropriate - access is not available/denied (which is what the XP
machine says).

(1)
Error - Konquerer
Internal error:
Please send a full bug report at
http://bugs.kde.org
Unknown error condition in stat: Connection refused

--
AC

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows / Linux password interplay
    ... Linux Lab. ... If you want Windows machines to share the same logins, you also need a package which on my system is called smbldap-tools which provides tools to keep Linux and Samba accounts in sync. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Networking workgroup
    ... >> The problem is that the workgroup has a master browser that moves ... and started the samba service and re-booted the machine. ... I used to be able to see the Windows machines from the Linux machine, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Windows / Linux password interplay
    ... Linux Lab. ... way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to ... but not on the Samba or Windows side. ... passwords centrally managed. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Adding Linux machine to existing wireless WinXP network - Heeeelllllp!
    ... I do not, however, have LAN connection or at ... Samba is indeed what you need. ... transparent to the Windows machines. ... if the Linux box was running Windows. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: [opensuse] trying to figure out how to share a data drive
    ... information about your linux setup so I can make sure we are talking ... partition that windows can read in a dual-boot scenario, ... running samba on linux, then you can share disk space just as if the operating ... your user name is 'george' If it's not, ...
    (SuSE)