Re: CUPS and HPLJ and yast

From: David Wright (david_c_wright_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/08/04

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:00:49 +0200

tony barnwell wrote:

> Hello,
> I have to dive in one day next week and attend to the printing
> services for 8 newly installed suse 9.0 PCs. Right now there is one
> previously suse box that uses CUPS to talk to a HPLJ 4 with an IP
> address (i did not do this and i am not quite sure of the details).
> Also there is another HPLJ without IP attached via a printercable but
> not yet configured or used.
> So i have two questions, Can I just copy the cups config files from
> the current working suse print client to the 8 new PCs (asuming CUPS
> is installed and running) or would it be better to use yast?
> Any advice on how to approach the config of the suse box with directly
> attached HPLJ? It should also be shared with samba i think cos there
> are also W98 Pcs that might want to use it.
>
> TIA
>
> Tony

Configuring the locally attached printer is very easy through Control
Center->Peripherals->Printers (using the Root account). Just add a new
printer and point it at the local interface.

You can individually point the remaining workstations at the printer, has it
got its own queue management built in? If not, then use the already
installed workstation as the print server, it will feed the jobs out to the
network printer and there won't be any overlapping of jobs etc.

The printer(s) should appear in the network from the existing machine.
Configure one of the workstations to point at the machine with the printer
queues. They should then be able to print without problems. There is a
wizard to help you.

NOTE: You will need to synchronise the user accounts between the machines or
allow anonymous access to the CUPS print server. If you are behind a
firewall, the latter is ok to set things up, but synchronising the accounts
with rsync, LDAP etc. is a much more secure method.

Once you have one workstation set-up, you should be able to copy the config
across, but it probably takes longer to copy the config, restart CUPS and
test the connection than to install it on each in turn...

>From a Windows point of view, through SAMBA, you can either install the
printers as PostScript, which is the default method of printing under Linux
(the driver converts postscript into what the printer understands), or you
can create a RAW printer queue, which you then share through Samba. There
are plenty of How To's out there, and I would recommend the O'Reilly
publication "Using Samba" if you are going to be administering the network
properly.

I have set my local network up as a Windows Domain, with the Samba server
acting as the Primary Domain Controller and serving print and file services
to my Windows machines. My Linux laptop also prints through the Linux
server.

NOTE 2: If you are going to set-up a Windows Domain as opposed to a
workgroup, it is better to freshly install the Windows clients as domain
members, as the local users will then not be used, you will need to
transfer all accounts to the server and you will have some local access
problems when you first start. If you aren't already in a domain, use
workgroups for access unless you want to re-build the Windows workstations
as well ;-)

Let us know if you need any more information...

Dave

Relevant Pages

  • Re: help with 2000i on win2k server (sp3 on database)
    ... See Leonard's post for the config options. ... If the server is mangling itself, then ANYTHING running on the server ... that I work with will support the database AND the application. ... As for Windows vs. Linux/NetWare, I can agree, but I also see MANY ...
    (comp.databases.btrieve)
  • Re: Workstations log off
    ... Select the Change Button on the server and verify the correct computer ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... >>> Windows IP Configuration ... >>> Workstation Config Follows ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Setting up Windows Server / Active Directory / DNS for small busin
    ... > I am a part-time system administrator for a small business that currently ... > has a Windows NT domain with approximately 10 workstations. ... > purchased a new server computer that has windows 2003 server ...
  • Installing Python on a Windows 2000 Server
    ... We have a central server array running Windows Server 2000 ... I would like to install Python on the server, and run the application that I'll be developing from the workstations, without having to install any Python components on the workstations themselves. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Limiting Ability to Join Domain
    ... Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server ... They can add maximum 10 workstations ... > Authenticated Users group by default. ... >> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)