Re: installing SUSE 9.1 over windows XP

From: redeamer (alion85_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/09/04

Date: 9 Jun 2004 02:18:43 -0700

Hi!

Using Magic i have partitioned my harddrive giving 15 GB to Linux
partition Ext2/3
and its swap partition 500 MB. In a bootmagic i have added the Ext2/3
partition to the Run Time menu and did a reboot with the DVD needed to
install SUSE on a 64 bit Athlon AMD processor. Suse perfectly
recognized the partitions created for it and the install took some 25
min, then it rebooted automatically. During the reboot i discarded the
DVD. And after that i have entered XP BootMagic and deleted previously
set partition space for linux from menu bar, went to Edit/Add/Advanced
to readd it
there (In the BootMagik Add OS) i saw following (after clicking on
Linux Ext2/3 ---> OK):

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

USED OS Name Volume Name Partition type Disk
Partition
Yes WinNT/2000/XP NTFS 1
Pri-1
No Unknown Linux Swap 1
Pri-2
Yes -"- Linux Ext2/3 -"-
Pri-3
No -"- ExtendedX -"- Ext
No -"- FAT32 -"-
Log-1

Yes in front of Linux Ext is because i have added it to the Runtime
menu. And FAT32 was needed to run BootMagic.

When after restart i chose the Unknown alternative (or the Linux OS,
inerestingly why it appears as Unknown and not as smthg like
Linux/Suse similarily to WinNT/2000/XP) following text appeared:
PREPARING MACHINE TO RUN "UNKNOWN"

"WITH BLINKING CURSOR"
and nothing happened i waited for some 5 minutes.
no problems with entering my WinXP but gosh i want LINUX, i know it is
in my mahine:)

Can you please help me out of this situation.

---> Drew

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)
    ... >> The Linux boot floppy is a bit more tricky. ... So I tried adding cfdisk to a spare Debian Woody boot ... > I reduced all the partition sizes by a third. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Linux, XP, Win2003 Server multi-boot
    ... Go to PC magazine's web site and do a search on "partitioning for linux" to see articles and reviews about partitioning philosophy and tools. ... Tools are now available in many bootable CD based Linux distributions to resize the C: partition of your disk drive to make room for Linux. ... I finally got the new machine - it came with one of those 'recovery' disks - and a 5 gig recovery partition that isn't supposed to be deleted. ... Once I feel I have everything in order - always lose something when I get a new computer - I'll format that disk and install Linux & Win2003 on it I guess. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Linux Windows dual boot not restoring properly
    ... Linux is showing the Windows folders in its file manager under the name of what effectively was drive C. ... decreases that Windows partition size in order to make a partition ... And at startup, can scan the hard drives, for partition types it ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Panasonic HD Recorders - What disk format?
    ... The earlier part of this is more about what may be Linux partitioning, ... might be possible to present the recorder with a larger disk already ... Most DOS/Windows utilities such as FDisk, Ghost, and Partition Magic Pro ... prompts to format it. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Disc Partitioning for Multi-Boot (long)
    ... We need to get the data off of the NTFS partition. ... But the next question is how to partition the drive so Windows and Linux ... The fdisk supplied with Windows 98 cannot manage that disc. ... How shall I make a multi-boot system out of that machine, ...
    (Fedora)