SuSE 9.1 & nVidia nForce 3 250Gb chipset & nVidia MAC for Gigabit LAN

From: Bob O'Donnell (wakatipu_at_comcast.net)
Date: 07/02/04

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:34:17 -0700

Hi -

Just installed a MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard and Athlon 64 CPU in my
computer. Purchased and installed
SuSE 9.1 Professional (AMD64) on the machine. The one gotcha I have not
been able to sort out is that the OS
does not see the Gigabit LAN in the hardware and thus I have no access to
the Internet on that machine.

I went to the MSI website and found no help for Linux. I went to the nVidia
website and found an AMD64 nForce driver
dated May 27th or so that was supposed to be for SuSE 9.0. Installed the
driver (correctly I think ....) but the OS still
does not recognize any network functionality in the machine.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I have left a message about
this on SuSE's website, but thought I
would try here too.

Thanks,
Bob

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AMD64 Motherboard compatibility with 9.1 Pro?
    ... This is written on a MSI K8T NEO FSR with AMD64 3.2 ... network, USB, sound and SATA drives. ... SuSE 9.0 except SATA is not supporetd by the kernel. ... MSI, ASUS, Aopen are the big boys with Iwill and Gigabyte in the second ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • RE: AMD64 (former i386 convert)+ FreeBSD various issues in 5.3, 5.4 (pre+post install)
    ... AMD64 + FreeBSD various issues in 5.3, ... >to get lucky to an install complete..the system then spends its time ... to believe msi make crap boards. ... mentioned 8gig of ram. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Can someone confirm this for me?
    ... >> I'm wanting to install SuSe on an AMD64 and was told that it does ... > just have to be sure you get the 64-bit release of SuSE. ... No 32-bit drivers will work on AMD64, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] frustration and suggestions
    ... but my experience with SuSE 10.0 on AMD64 x 2 is almost ... Not a single problem so far ... Yeah, you're right. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: SATA und Suse 9.2
    ... ich soll mich an SUSE wenden. ... SUSE sagt, ich soll MSI fragen, wenn der Typ nicht in der HArdware DB vorhanden ist. ... ob man SATA Platten über RAID Controller mounten kann. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware)